Wednesday, July 1, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 1: Screaming for Vengeance

The CD Odyssey begins again! Last time, this quest took almost three years, and that was about 5 years ago, so I expect it will take a little while longer this time.

For those of you who would wonder why the hell should I bother I will only say, "Do you want to climb this mountain or just get to the top?"

This year, on the advice of my friend Karen, I am going to roll randomly to determine what order I go in. Full CD Odyssey "rules" are on the sideboard.

Disc 1 is...Screaming For Vengeance


Artist: Judas Priest

Year of Release: 1982

How I Came To Know It: In my youth, I was a heavy metal meat-head, so this album has been in my life a long time. Admittedly this was the second JP album I ever knew - the first was Defenders of the Faith. I'll talk about that when I roll it...

How It Stacks Up: I currently have 8 Priest albums. I'd put this one 3rd or 4th in overall awesomeness.

Rating: 4 stars

Screaming For Vengeance is a seminal album in the history of heavy metal. Many would say Priest and Maiden are the first two true heavy metal bands. My money is on Black Sabbath, but I think there is an acceptable (preferably drunken) argument for Priest/Maiden.

This album is the poster-child for what good Metal is all about. It is full of Rob Halford belting his guts out, screaming guitar solos (the guitars are screaming for vengeance, no doubt), incredible riffs and symphonic sound.

A big shout out to my buddy, Ross the Boss. Ross is the biggest Priest fan I've ever met, and he helped rekindle my love for JP. That was a good deed indeed.

As many of you know I saw Priest in concert last year. To paraphrase Tennyson, though they are not that strength that in old days moved earth and heaven, that which they are, they are. And what they are still rocks.

Best tracks: Electric Eye, Bloodstone, Screaming for Vengeance, You've Got Another Thing Comin'.

Do you have an opinion about this album? Post it! Or lurk - that is good too.