Thursday, July 23, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc11: Enya

The dice choose a second album that is "the most famous" and the second album in a row that came out in 1988.

Disc 11 is...Watermark
Artist: Enya

Year of Release: 1988

How I Came To Know It: I discovered Enya like most people - I heard "Orinoco Flow" on Muchmusic and decided I liked it. In my defence, I was entering my "folk phase".

How It Stacks Up: I don't know how many embarrassing admissions this post is going to have, but here's another one. I own 5 Enya albums. Yikes. "Watermark" is probably the third best, or middle of the pack.

Rating: 2 stars (with an embarrassed thumbs up).

Enya got her start in Clannad, an Irish folk band with new age tendencies. Yes, I also like Clannad, but I refuse to be embarrassed about that until I roll them.

"Orinoco Flow" was a huge hit back in 1988. Even now when I replay it, it is a bit on the overplayed side, and its been many years since Enya saw serious rotation on the CD carousel. Still, it is a good track, and catchy.

The rest of the disc is not so catchy, but wears a little better. Enya has an ethereal quality to her voice. This is 1 part a very cool voice, and 1 part that she is famous for putting a ton of layers into her voice (lots of takes, all lined up together) to give her that unearthly ambience. It is artificial yes, but it works.

This is about as far as I stray into "New Age" and I think for good reason. I think Enya is to New Age what Phat Boy Slim is to techno. Yes, I have Phat Boy Slim, but I won't be embarrassed about that until I roll it.

This album gets a 2, but a thumbs up, because it is actually well written and creates a nice mood. It is even good for driving, but the embarrassment factor at red lights is really high. Not "Jerky Boys" high, but easily "Gangsta Rap" high.

I think everyone has music that they would find embarrassing at a red light. Mind you, most have the good sense to not post it on the internet.

After review, I'm keeping this album, and living with the shame.

Best tracks: Storms in Africa, Exile, Orinoco Flow, The Longships

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I got burned out on Enya listening to it every day when I worked in the Christmas store...although it was infinitely better than listening to Christmas carols!

Maybe we should sell some of the other Enya albums.