Thursday, August 20, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 21: Luka Bloom

Here comes a disc which features a celebrity brush-with-greatness!

Disc 21 is...The Acoustic Motorbike


Artist: Luka Bloom

Year of Release: 1992

How I Came To Know It: I once helped get Canadian Folk Icon Mae Moore out of a line up at Swan's. In the conversation that followed, she told me about an artist I should really check out - Luka Bloom. So I did - and here he is.

How It Stacks Up: Mae Moore insisted I buy 2 of Luka Bloom's albums - and so I did. The Acoustic Motorbike is one of them. It is by far the lesser of the two.

Rating: 2 stars with a thumb down

At the outset of this review, I'd like to point out that I really really like my other Luka Bloom album - but I'll review that one when the time comes.

Today, we are left with what I think is the later album "the Acoustic Motorbike". I definitely like the title, which is basically a cutesy reference to riding a bike.

Luka Bloom came to me at the height of my folk music love-in. At that time I loved this album immeasurably more than I do now. Yes, I still love folk music, but this one hasn't stood the test of time.

Bloom has a great voice - a voice so good it carries a lot of tracks that don't deserve a listen, and makes you listen - and this is something to be applauded. But the material here doesn't measure up compared to his other work.

There is a kick ass remake of Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love", but there is also the worst ever remake of LL Cool J's "I Need Love". If rap and folk can ever mix (and this is a serious IF) it doesn't work here. The Acoustic Motorbike sees Luka writing his own "rap/folk". It is a damned sight better than his take on LL Cool J, but still only approaches average.

Overall, this album really tries a new direction. It mostly fails, but in many places it shows Luka Bloom's talent and promise. Although I only have 2 of his albums, I'm told he is still touring, and if he came to Victoria, I'd go see him. I think it would be a good show.

So thanks for the recommendation, Ms. Moore, and thanks for the drink you shared with me. You're one cool woman.

To you gentle reader - buy Luka Bloom's other record "Riverside" for sure. It is awesome. This one is close, but not close enough.

Best tracks: Can't Help Falling In Love, I Believe In You

No comments: