Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 25: Audioslave

The penultimate "pre-rolled" CD Odyssey Disc 25 is...

Revelations

This picture is generic. My first attempt to find a photo resulted in a virus attack, and put me off the whole thing. Future albums shall have appropriate pictures - this time you get vinyl!

Artist: Audioslave

Year of Release: 2006

How I Came To Know It: I believe my friend Chris introduced me to Audioslave - telling me a band is made up of a mixture of Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine made for an easy sell.

How It Stacks Up: Audioslave only has 3 albums - Cornell is off doing pretentious solo work and Rage Against the Machine has decided to welcome back their perpetually angry lead singer into the fold. Revelations is their last work together (at least for now) and is far and away the weakest.

Rating: 2 stars with a thumbs up.

Let me start by saying I really like Audioslave - a band that engenders a fair amount of dissension in the rock-fan world.

As far as I am concerned combining the genius of Chris Cornell's voice, with the amazing guitar playing of Tom Morello is inspired.

Unfortunately, while the guitar playing on this album is incredible, and some of the licks amazing, overall the songs are fairly forgettable. Also, Cornell is a bit too screechy.

I know, I know - screaming in tune is what Cornell does best, but here it comes off as a little pretentious and over the top, even for him.

The album's first 3 or 4 tracks show promise but they aren't followed up with strong material. Nevertheless, the technical mastery of Morello's guitar is on display, and Cornell sings well on a bad day, so the album is still worth an occasional listen.

Mark this one down for completionists only. It ain't bad, but you're better served with the excellent offerings of Audioslave's first two records.

Best tracks: Revelations, One And The Same, Original Fire

No comments: