Tuesday, September 22, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 35: Judas Priest

Disc 35 brings us back to the first Disc reviewed, with the second offering of Judas Priest from the collection (my first review in the Odyssey was Screaming for Vengeance).

Disc 35 is...Defenders of the Faith
Artist: Judas Priest

Year of Release: 1984

How I Came To Know It: This album was my introduction to Judas Priest as a young metal head in Grade 9. All Priest for me flows from my initial love of this album.

How It Stacks Up: Very strongly. I have 8 Priest albums, and this one is probably #2 on that list. It may end up at #1, but I've gotta hold out for more.

Rating: 5 stars.

I really, really enjoyed rocking out to this album for the past two days. Not only did this one stay in the car past the allotted time, I had only recently been listening to it at home.

Defenders of the Faith is a quintessential metal album by one of the two crazy uncles of Heavy Metal - Judas Priest. Defenders didn't invent the metal genre, but I would argue that it perfects it. It stands not alone - but in very select company on the summit of pure heavy metal.

The first track, "Freewheel Burnin'" delivers all of the high octane of metal - and remains one of metal's greatest tracks. The guitars lay down a furious riff - the lyrics follow suit:

Fast and furious
we ride the universe
To carve a road for us that slices
every curve in sight


This is only the beginning of an energy laden journey that never stops. Just when you feel overwhelmed, track 5 slows things down with "Love Bites", an erotic vampire song that plays like a soundtrack for watching "Nosferatu" on speed.

Make no mistake, though - a slower tempo does not take any heaviness away from "Love Bites" which shows you can slow down and not get soppy in the world of metal.

Before you know it, you are back on the rock and roll road, with Eat Me Alive. With lyrics like:

Wrapped tight around me
Like a second flesh hot skin
Cling to my body
As the ecstasy begins

Hmmm...just what could Rob Halford be talking about. I'm sure it isn't sex - he never sings about that...

The album closes with 2 songs that merge into one - Heavy Duty and Defenders of the Faith. Heavy Duty combines all the slow impact of "Love Bites" and all the furious guitar of "Freewheel Burnin'" before it disintigrates into the soccer chant/metal anthem title track that takes you home.

This is the remastered/bonus track album - and the remastering is excellent (by which I mean, they didn't just turn up the recording volume). Even the two bonus tracks - "Turn On Your Light" and a live version of Heavy Duty/Defenders of the Faith from the 83/84 tour are strong additions.

I really didn't want to give this album 5 stars - I like to keep that rare. But I simply had no choice. It is as good a metal album as you would hear. This record has been in my life for 25 years, and yet every time I put it on, it immediately grabs me by the balls and screams "Heavy Metal!". Rob Halford would no doubt be pleased.

Best tracks: Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Love Bites, Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, Heavy Duty

No comments: