Monday, October 12, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 41: Judas Priest

I've bought a bunch of new albums recently, and I'm mixing them in with random rolls. This is a new purchase, and breaks the current tie between Enya, Michelle Shocked and Judas Priest in terms of the artist I've reviewed the most.

I already know who is going to to win the "most albums in the collection" award - but for now let's keep the suspense, and say Judas Priest takes an early lead at 3.

Disc 41 is...Rocka Rolla
Artist: Judas Priest

Year of Release: 1976

How I Came To Know It: My tales of coming to know Priest are in other entries on Judas Priest, but they've been in my life a long time. This album is a new review, and I had never heard it before. That said, my buddies Spence and Ross have told me I'd like this particular album - so I bought it. Thanks, guys!

How It Stacks Up: I now have 10 Judas Priest albums. I like them all quite a bit, so this is getting harder. I'll put Rocka Rolla 5th, but that doesn't mean it isn't good - it just means that it has stiff competition.

Rating: 4 stars.

I believe Rocka Rolla is Priest's first album, and came out way back in 1976. I think coming from North America, we all think Judas Priest started in the eighties, because until "You Got Another Thing Coming" broke in 1982, they were fairly unknown. Actually, they've been around a long time.

This record made me think of so many other great acts. There are songs like "One for the Road" where they sound a little like Zeppelin, tracks like "Never Satisfied" where they sound a little like Sabbath, and even a track"Dying To Meet You" which is some kind of cross between Blue Oyster Cult and 60s British folk.

There is no conspiracy or mystery here, though. Rocka Rolla is classic hard rock at its best. They are drilling the same well as these other bands, but they've got their own claim, certes. That said, Rocka Rolla never sounds derivative; it is distinctively Judas Priest.

My version of this album is the Koch Records re-release, which has the weird half-robot/half demon warmonger cover (see above). I think the original was just a silver bottle cap with "Rocka Rolla" written on it in a Coca Cola like font.

It also has a remake of Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust" which not all include on their song lists. I like the remake and I like the production on the album overall, so while I can't speak to the other versions, as far as this one goes, I say "buy it!". It is some of the best classic, hard driving rock and roll you will hear, and it sounds fresh over 30 years after release.

Best tracks: All these tracks are great, but I'd say the first 5 are the best (One For the Road, Rocka Rolla, Cheater, Never Satisfied, Run of The Mill.

No comments: