Sunday, November 8, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 52: Queen

The Odyssey returns to the island of classic rock (in this case, England).

Disc 52 is...The Miracle

Artist: Queen

Year of Release: 1989

How I Came To Know It: This particular album I picked up because I already loved Queen, and I thought the single "I Want It All" was one incredible rock anthem. After further review, that song is still awesome. I've had this album on tape and wore it out, and now my disc is looking a little sorry even - I can sing along to the whole thing, and frequently do. Yeah, that was me you saw at the traffic light.

How It Stacks Up: As I noted when I reviewed The Game, I have 13 of Queen's 15 studio albums. I'd say The Miracle is at the low end of those - maybe 10th, but it is still awesome, as pretty much every Queen album is.

However - of note this is one of the worst album covers ever. It could be the worst album cover in my collection. Even Freddie's moustache is missing.

Rating: 4 stars.

This album snuck up on me a bit. Often when I am about to listen to an album for the CD Odyssey, I can't help but think in advance what I will likely rate it.

In the case of "The Miracle", I expected a solid 3 star album. Yet, it surprised me. This album is more than solid, it is excellent.

Starting with the song I bought it for (I Want It All), which is a 5 star rock song, but the album is more than that.

This album has Queen expirementing with a lot of 80s sounds, like drum machine beats and other early electronic sounds that really damaged other albums from the late 80s (some of Springsteen's stuff comes to mind). Queen uses this stuff without letting it take away from their distinct sound. When it is ocassionally goofy, like in the song "Rain Must Fall", it is pretty clear they mean to be goofy.

In addition to this new element, this album has a fair bit of what we expect from Queen, in funky bass playing, the classic rock guitar of Brian May and Freddie's cabaret singing and lyrics.

I particularly noticed the bass licks on this album, which are very much at the forefront of a lot of the songs. John Deacon definitely gets his fair share of star treatment, particularly on "The Invisible Man" and "Breakthru" (both killer tracks in totally different ways).

While not my favourite Queen album, The Miracle is near the top of Queen's catalogue when it comes to showing their range - they really try a lot of different styles, and make each one their own.

I guess there isn't much to say - as my buddy Spence would say "just another great Queen album".

Best tracks: Khashoggi's Ship, I Want It All, The Invisible Man, Breakthru, Scandal, Was It All Worth It

No comments: