Thursday, December 17, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 68: Dio

The next disc shows the power of random rolling yet again. You'll recall the last review was for Figgy Duff - this one is Dio. How could there possibly be a connection? Read on...

Disc 68 is...Holy Diver

Artist: Dio

Year of Release: 1983

How I Came To Know It: I have known Dio since this album came out and my brother bought it. Back when I was 13, my brother had a good job as a fisherman and he'd get off the boat and buy every metal album with a good cover. You have to admit, this is a pretty cool cover. Is that preacher escaping Satan's chain as it breaks, or has Satan released him to the depths? We don't know. What we do know is that the Devil is doing a wicked "devil horns" with his off hand.

How It Stacks Up: I have two Dio albums - this one and "Last In Line". This is by far the better one. Still meaning to get "Sacred Heart" - then I'm done with Dio (I have no interest in "Locking Up the Wolves".

Rating: 4 stars.

Most people got to know Dio because he joined Black Sabbath. I'm one of those weird guys who got to know Black Sabbath because of Dio. My first exposure to Sabbath were Dio albums, "the Mob Rules" and "Heaven and Hell"

O solo Dio (couldn't resist) is a lot like those Sabbath albums, but mostly not as good. "Holy Diver" is the exception.

This album is early 80s metal at its finest. Driving riffs and soaring guitars - I particularly like "Straight Through The Heart" for its energetic riff. Accompanying all this bombast is one of the greatest rock voices in the world. Dio is up there with Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford.

In addition to great music meant to be played loud (apologies to those who shared the commute with me today), the lyrics on "Holy Diver" are vintage Dio. Here's a little sampling:

From "Holy Diver"

"Between the velvet lies
there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies
life's a never ending wheel"


It...almost...means...something...profound:

Here's a little more:

From "Don't Talk to Strangers"

"Don't write in starlight 'cause the words may come out real"

The kind of "magicky" line that really appeals to the 13 year old boy. Guilty as charged; I remain a 13 year old boy.

But here's the best - one of the most ridiculous rock lyrics since Uriah Heap sang of Rainbow Demons:

From "Rainbow in the Dark"

"When there's lightning you know it always bring me down
'cause it's free and I see that it's me who's lost and never found
I cry out for magic I feel it dancing in the light
It was cruel lost my hold to the shadows of the night
No sign of the morning coming you've been left on your own
Like a rainbow in the dark a rainbow in the dark"

Surely only a metal God like Dio would stoop to such hyperbole. Then again...shall we revisit the album I just reviewed two days ago.

From Figgy Duff's song "Heart of a Gypsy"

"She can make you listen deep inside
For her secret still untold
She has it locked inside her heart
Like a rainbow in the dark."

And the third song on "Holy Diver" is..."Gypsy".

I just love the coincidences that result from the random CD Odyssey. Either that or Figgy Duff and Dio should go for beers. And invite me.

Best tracks: Stand Up and Shout, Holy Diver, Straight Through The Heart, Rainbow in the Dark, Shame on the Night.

No comments: