Friday, March 26, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 110: Gordon Lightfoot

It has been a while since I invoked the rarely used Rule #5 in the CD Odyssey (allowing automatic review of a newly purchased CD). I have bought quite a few since starting, but I just prefer the random element. Mostly I just listen to new discs at least three times, then leave them in a "new" section for a while, and then file them and wait to roll them.

I am reviewing this one because a) I had just reviewed a bad Lightfoot compilation at Disc 107 and I had just reviewed a CD with a thoughtful whale song on it at Disc 109. Given these facts, and my rekindled excitement with Gordon Lightfoot (I bought four of his albums last weekend), it seemed a natural fit.

Disc 110 is...Don Quixote

Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Year of Release: 1972

How I Came To Know It: I have known most old Gordon Lightfoot since I was a kid through "Gord's Gold". This is me finally collecting all of his studio albums - and I bought this one alongside 3 others ("Cold On the Shoulder", "Summer Side of Life" and "Endless Wire").

How It Stacks Up: Of the four I bought last weekend, "Don Quixote" is the best. Overall, I now have nine of Lightfoot's studio albums, and hungry for more. I think "Don Quixote" is probably the best of the nine (although "Old Dan's Records" might be its equal). Also it has, hands down , the coolest picture of Gord on the cover.

Rating: 5 stars.

Canadian folk simply doesn't get better than Gordon Lightfoot, and "Don Quixote" is Gord at his best.

This album came out in 1972, right in the height of Gord's ability. I love the raw sound of his voice and guitar in his sixties work, but by 1972 he has really honed in on his own unique sound. "Don Quixote" is blessed with simple, but beautifully toned production. Gord's voice sounds powerful, yet seemingly in a state of perpetual reverie. It draws you in, and speaks to you gently, but firmly about stuff that is important to Gord, and makes it important to you.

At the same time, his guitar has that signature sound, a playful plucking that perfectly matches the mood set by his voice.

This album is stacked with songs that many of us know, the most famous of which is the title track "Don Quixote". As a kid I absolutely loved this song, and knew all the words, even if I didn't quite get all the social commentary until later in life.

"Don Quixote" is one of the most singularly recognizeable folk songs in existence - and as the first notes strike you instantly know what you're hearing. At the same time, the lyrics are a beautiful mixture of themes.

On the one hand, Gord paints the story of a character that was traditionally comical, and makes him instead a tragic hero. At the same time, Lightfoot then takes Don Quixote's willingness to fight the unwinnable fight, and turns it into an anthem for the struggle of the common man as he rails against injustice. Here's one of my favourite parts:

"I have come o'er moor and mountain, like the hawk upon the wing
I was once a shining knight, who was the guardian of a king
I have searched the whole world over, looking for a place to sleep
I have seen the strong survive and I have seen the lean grown weak

See the children of the earth, who wake to find the table bare
See the gentry in the country, riding off to take the air

Reaching for his saddlebag, he takes a rusty sword into his hand
Then striking up a knightly pose, he shouts across the ocean to the shore
Til he can shout no more."


It is a beautiful song that I have somehow been unable to overplay despite a ridiculous amount of listens.

Remember - this is only the album's first song. There are 10 more, and while not all as strong, many are close.

I am particularly fond of "Christian Island", a song about Gord on his boat, telling the story of sailing during the summer, and then tying back up in the lee of Christian Island at the end of the season. It is a song that says summertime, and reminds us to enjoy the little things.

"Tall and strong she slips along
I sing for her a song
And she leans into the wind
She's a good old boat and she'll stay afloat
Through the toughest gales and keep smilin'
When the summer ends we will rest again
In the lee of Christian Island"

At this point, we are only two songs in.

The album shows great emotional range - the activism of "Don Quixote" and "The Patriots' Dream" are balanced by relatively gentle travel songs like "Christian Island" and "On Susan's Floor". I like Gord in his mournful and dark side as well.

For this, I really enjoy "Second Cup of Coffee", where Gord sings about hard memories, and the hard liquor he uses to soften them:

"I'm on my second cup of coffee and I still can't face the day
I'm thinking of the lady who got lost along the way
And if I don't stop this trembling hand from reaching for the phone
I'll be reaching for the bottle Lord, before this day is done"


"Ode to Big Blue" tells the story of a blue whale, a century old, that has escaped the whalers harpoons all those years. Lightfoot paints a picture with equal majesty and dignity that he gives the old knight in "Don Quixote", but expands his message from how we treat each other, to how we treat the world.

In closing, this album has some of the most memorable folk music I own, by one of my all time favourite artists. If you are only going to own one Gordon Lightfoot album you could play it safe and get Gord's Gold, but that is so obvious. Get this instead, and be just as happy.

Best tracks: Don Quixote, Christian Island, Alberta Bound, Ode to Big Blue, Second Cup of Coffee, On Susan's Floor (the other four are pretty good as well)

No comments: