Monday, April 26, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 121: The Pogues

The B is for Bictory.

OK, that may not mean anything to you, but what matters here is that the Boston Bruins are through to round 2.

Now to the music review.

Disc 121 is...Peace and Love
Artist: The Pogues

Year of Release: 1989

How I Came To Know It: This was the last Pogues album I bought, purchased because it was the last album with Shane MacGowan singing that I didn't have. My deep love of the Pogues was inspired by my friend, Tony, who played "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash" for me one night over beers.

How It Stacks Up: I have five Pogues albums, which I believe are all the Shane MacGowan ones. I have no real interest in the others at this point. Of those five, I'd put this one last, but don't let that fool you - it is still a good album.

Rating: 3 stars.

I always think of "Peace and Love" as the last Pogues album with MacGowan, but in preparing for this review, I see that their last record is actually "Hell's Ditch." That makes sense stylistically, as "Peace and Love" has a very similar sound to the album that preceded it, "If I Should Fall From The Grace of God."

There are a number of songs on "Peace and Love" where I found myself wishing they had been sung by MacGowan. I believe by this time he was deep into alcoholism and binge drinking like mad. I suppose this contributed to his lesser role on the record (as you probably know, he was soon to be kicked out of the band).

This puts Shane in some rare company alongside Dave Mustaine, so hammered he was kicked out of Metallica, and Ozzie Osbourne, so wasted he was kicked out of Black Sabbath. People who think that these latter gents are somehow more hard core than MacGowan don't have an appreciation for the kind of partying folk/rock bands can lay on. MacGowan is every bit their drunken equal.

Fortunately, just like Mustaine and Osbourne, MacGowan survived, and has made some great follow up music since with his band, The Popes. But I'll talk about that when I roll it.

Back to the music, if I have any criticism of "Peace and Love" it is that in places the arrangements get a little too busy. There is just too much going on at the same time - it could have done more with less.

That said, there are some real gems.

I particularly like "Young Ned of the Hill" which is a song about Oliver Cromwell's conquering of Ireland in 1649. As loyal Irishmen, the Pogues are predictably not impressed:

"A curse upon you Oliver Cromwell
You who raped our Motherland
I hope you're rotting down in hell
For the horrors that you sent
To our misfortunate forefathers
Whom you robbed of their birthright
"To hell or Connaught" may you burn in hell tonight."

I've never been a fan of Cromwell for a whole host of reasons - most notably that he puritanically closed the theatres in England when he took power. Oh yeah - on that subject, he also chopped the head off the lawful King of England and (as noted above) invaded Ireland, during which there was more than one massacre. What a jerk!

I also really love "Down All The Days" which is a song about the life of a drunk writer (let's call him 'Shane') and a beautiful homage to the City of London, in all its facets, titled "London You're a Lady". Here's a taste:

"Your architects were madmen
Your builders sane but drunk
And among your faded jewels
Shine acid house and punk."

This line, and the rest in this song (memorable for both verse and tune) is vintage MacGowan - still creating works of beauty even while seriously drunk.

No one writes a drunken binge like MacGowan - I don't think anyone is even close. I think as I review each Pogues album I'll find at least one good drunken binge line. Here's this review's selection (from "Boat Train"):

"I had a couple drinks in town
A few more at the port
I puked up on the gangway
But some kind folks helped me board
They helped me to a table
Poured whiskey down my throat
They sat me at a table
And I lost my watch and coat."

If you like the Pogues, I would say this would be the last of their first five albums to get, but don't take that the wrong way - you should get it anyway.

Best tracks: Young Ned of the Hill, Down All The Days, Lorelei, Boat Train, London You're A Lady

No comments: