Friday, October 8, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 191: Nirvana

From one of the worst albums in our collection to one of the best - and the first five star review in a while.

Disc 191 is...Nevermind
Artist: Nirvana

Year of Release: 1991

What’s Up With The Cover?: It's a floating baby chasing the almighty dollar. I don't really like this cover, as I'm not a fan of baby pictures, but I admit it is a strong and iconic image. The idea that we are born into this world and immediately loaded with all sorts of expectations about what success is (represented by the dollar bill). I also like the idea that the baby has been 'thrown into the deep end'. This cover says things start out hard and don't get easier. It may be a baby picture, but it is the best baby picture I can think of.

How I Came To Know It: Another Greg/grunge album from the early nineties. I'd like to think Greg brought this home before it broke huge on the music scene - he's usually a step or two ahead. Since I was into Celtic folk at the time, I probably would've missed it otherwise.

How It Stacks Up: I have four Nirvana albums, which I think is all of them discounting oddball stuff like "unplugged" or garage tapes. Of the four, "Nevermind" is the best.

Rating: 5 stars.

"Nevermind" is a hard album to write a review for. So much has been said about it that there isn't much more to add. Frankly, I think too much has been said about it. This is an incredible record, and it rightly deserves to be held among other great rock albums. Managing to hyperbolize such a record is a tough task, but somehow over the last twenty years, we've managed.

People liking it a bit too much is forgiveable when you listen to it. The first six tracks ("Smells Like Teen Spirit", "In Bloom", "Come As You Are", "Breed", "Lithium" and "Polly") are as good as any six tracks you'll hear on a record, and they come at you all in a row.

In a way I was happy to have the comparatively average "Territorial Pissings" come in at number 7, if only to give me a break from the onslaught.

"In Bloom" always stands out for me, and it's a song all the music critics who write a review of this album should listen to carefully. It is a song about the fan who loves the music, but isn't really connecting to it. It isn't necessarily about fakes, it just seems that Cobain thinks we're all fakes to the music experience. Maybe we are, and even if Cobain is a prick for saying so, I for one enjoyed the humbling experience of being called out. For other songs in the same vein, check out Cake's "Rock & Roll Lifestyle" and the most honest rock song ever written, Rush's "Limelight". (You'll hear me say that again before the Odyssey ends, trust me).

"Lithium" deals with the topic of mental illness in a way that makes you really feel the despair of the experience, and "Polly" tells the true story of a woman kidnapped and raped by a psychopath, who escapes him by pretending to fall for him. It is a disturbing song, and a convincing imagining of the inner workings of the disturbed mind.

I remember dancing to "Lithium" at Scandals night club in the early nineties on alternative Tuesday. Listening to it in the car brought that entire experience back to me viscerally, even many years and countless listens later. These songs are good because they aren't just good when you first hear them - they actually get better with age.

On this listen I was reminded that Nirvana is more than just Kurt Cobain's tortured vocals; their musicianship is excellent. I'm not a fan of Dave Grohl's "Foo Fighter" work, but I can't deny his drumming, which is excellent, and Chris Novoselic is no slouch on the bass either.

This album does have that annoying early nineties 'hidden track' where after an excellent song ("Something In the Way") there is ten minutes of silence followed by what is really another song. Even this cardinal sin was not enough to remotely pull this album down from five stars.

I'm not going to say much more, because it has all been said about this album. Besides, to paraphrase "In Bloom" while I like all the songs and I like to sing along, I don't know what it means. All I know for sure is it is a classic.

Best tracks: There are twelve tracks, and I love nine of them. The only weak spots are Territorial Pissings, Lounge Act and Something In the Way, but the latter only because of the hidden track what-not.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I first heard of Nirvana when the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hit the airwaves. I remember being completely blown away.

I wish I'd seen them at Harpo's before they hit it big.

Chris said...

You, Me, and just about every one in our demo, Sheila.

Also Pearl Jam at the OAP...