Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 209: Heather Masse

After a couple of compilation albums, it was nice to get back to rolling actual albums. Also back to folk music, one of my big loves, so a lovely homecoming all around.

Disc 209 is...Bird Song
Artist: Heather Masse

Year of Release: 2009

What’s Up With The Cover?: Check it out - a folk album cover that doesn't look like it was shot on a friend's camera phone. This one is simple, and maybe has an overly staged 'shot in the studio' feel, but it looks professional, which is good. Also, let's face it, Heather Masse has a natural beauty that really shines through here.

How I Came To Know It: I am a fan of the Wailin' Jennys through my friend Casey. As anyone who's read my Wailin Jenny's review back at Disc 92 knows, the Jennys have had lineup changes a fair bit. Heather Masse is the most recent addition (coming into the band in 2007). I took a flier, since she was a Jenny, and bought it unheard.

How It Stacks Up: I only have one Heather Masse album. I do have two "third Jenny" albums though, as I also have the solo effort of Annabelle Chvostek (Jenny from 2004-2007). Of the two, I prefer this one. I don't have a solo album by original Jenny Cara Luft (2002-2004), but I think I'll get one if its out there, just for purposes of harmony.

Rating: 3 stars.

As noted above, Heather Masse is the most recent replacement Jenny in the Wailin' Jennys, a folk band I have much love for, and for whom I am fearful, as they've had too many lineup changes, and don't look active at present.

That said, if she has ended up a folk refugee, Heather Masse is at least a well-equipped one. The songs on this album are consistently strong, both in writing and delivery. While a Wailin' Jenny now, Masse is not Canadian, and grew up in Maine (yeah, I cheated and checked her website).

While there, I was also not surprised she has a jazz background, as there is a jazz vibe in the background of a few songs. When it comes to the forefront, like on "Bathtub" it ends up too cute by half, but fortunately this doesn't happen often. Typically, her jazz stylings are seemlessly blended into folk music and add a nice upbeat vibe that offsets some of the more sombre songs on the album. "High Heeled Woman" is cute in exactly the right proportion. I love the chorus:

"I want a high-heeled woman
To make me feel small
I want a long legged woman
I like 'em nice and tall
She'll be kicking up dirt
And pickin' up trouble
I wanta a high-heeled woman
I've got to reach up to cuddle."

While there are other equally playful songs ("Mittens" comes to mind, a song that makes long underwear sexy - thus cementing Masse solidly as a Canadian in tradition, if not by birth).

In other songs, she is more introspective, such as the opening track "I Don't Wanna Wake Up Today", which thematically reminded me of the Cowboy Junkies' "Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning".

Unlike the Junkie's Margot Timmins, Heather Masse's voice is never a breathy whisper. Even at her softest, her power is strongly evident. To her credit, she never pushes it in a song just to show off, although you feel she could. She sings the song exactly as powerfully as is called for, free of ego, but with plenty of emotion.

I can't say I loved this album, but I liked it a lot, and almost gave it four stars. It is an album that requires some attention to draw out all its secrets, but it is worth the time. I've only owned it a few months, and have heard it less than ten times. Yet on every listen, I find myself liking it more and more. It makes me hopeful that she'll get in the studio with the other two Wailin' Jennys and record something apart from a live album (which is all the current line up has out). If not, I'll settle for another solo album when she's ready.

Best tracks: I Don't Wanna Wake Up Today, Bird Song, Our World, High Heeled Woman, Orphan Girl, Time's a Hoax

No comments: