Thursday, January 20, 2011

CD Odyssey Disc 229: Concrete Blonde

Another short album means a second review in as many days. This one might not be the modern classic that "Billion Dollar Babies" is, but it is a good album nonetheless.

Disc 229 is...Free
Artist: Concrete Blonde

Year of Release: 1989

What’s Up With The Cover?: Once again an artist decides to employ some friend and the result is art that is...pedestrian. In this case, it is actually done in part by lead singer Johnette Napolitano, so I better watch myself, since Johnette could kick the crap out of me.

I gave this cover a bit of a look, and my theory was that it is the astrological signs of the 4 band mates. Sure enough the two I was able to confirm show up with Napolitano a Virgo (centre right) and guitarist James Mankey is a Gemini (centre left). I'm willing to bet the peripheral band members are a Scorpio and a Leo, although I couldn't find it easily on the 'interweb'.

How I Came To Know It: I heard the song "God Is a Bullet" on MuchMusic and went in search of the song. I actually found Bloodletting (reviewed back at Disc 197), but it wasn't long until this one surfaced a year or two later. I think in the interim, my buddy Greg had it on tape as well.

How It Stacks Up: I have four Concrete Blonde albums. This used to be my second favourite, but it has slipped slightly behind their self-titled debut in the last couple years, so I'm going to reluctantly consign it to third.

Rating: 3 stars.

"Free" is not the classic album that "Bloodletting" is, but it is a solid rock album in its own right. The track that caused me to go looking for it, the anti-gun anthem "God Is a Bullet" is a great opening. While I firmly support the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good song that warns of their fearful power when used inappropriately.

More than anything, "God Is A Bullet" is a reminder that if you get a feeling of giddy invincibility when you're holding a gun, you should put it down. Other great songs in this tradition: Johnny Cash's "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" and Steve Earle's "Devil's Right Hand".

Interestingly in all three songs, the character doesn't put it down, with tragic consequences. I guess if cooler heads prevailed you wouldn't have much of a song. Imagine if Billy had taken his guns only to the range, enjoyed some safe target practice, and then went into town unarmed and got supplies without incident. I'm not seeing the dramatic tension here. But I digress...

Other standouts include, "Happy Birthday" a great song about what it is like later in the evening when you've had too much to drink on your birthday. It opens:

"Well outside in the hall there's a catfight
It's after midnight, guess I feel alright
I'm laying out on the floor, drunk and poor
How much longer? How much more?"


I'm not sure what possesses us to overdo it just because it is our birthday, but if you want to remember what it felt like the last time you did it, Concrete Blonde's "Happy Birthday" is one way to do so.

Musically "Free" once again demonstrates Concrete Blonde's unique sound. Napolitano's breathy, yet tough-as-nails voice is instantly recognizable, and the band does a good job of mixing a lot of disparate elements together and distilling them into rock and roll that has a lot of pop sensibilities but that doesn't lose its hard edge.

Also, while the songs on "Free" aren't the same quality as "Bloodletting" the production is far superior. Where "Bloodletting" can be downright fuzzy, "Free" is much more straight ahead in its mixing. The big hollow sound that is Concrete Blonde is still there, but the instruments are a bit more distinct and clear in the mix. Although I prefer the albums that came before and after, "Free" gets my vote for best production of the lot.

Do you have to have this album? No, but it is enjoyable, and if you already have and are enjoying the other two Concrete Blonde albums I've been mentioning, this is certainly worth your time for number three.

Best tracks: God Is a Bullet, Roses Grow, Happy Birthday, Little Conversations

1 comment:

Sheila said...

That's my favourite birthday song!