Monday, April 30, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 394: Dick Dale


I had an amazing dream last night.

I dreamed that both of the cats we’ve lost in the last two years (Othello and Inigo) came to visit us in the living room.  It was one of those hyper-real dreams, full of tactile sensation and emotional depth.  I knew it was odd that they were back, and I knew they couldn’t stay.  I followed them around the house giving them both pats until I sensed it was time for them to go, and then I woke up.  I felt both better and worse at the same time.

H.P. Lovecraft had a lot of strange notions about cats, and how they exist in other dream-like dimensions that we are unaware of.  It would be great if he turns out to be right, but even if he’s wrong, it was a nice dream.

Disc 394 is…Summer Surf

Artist: Dick Dale and his Del-Tones

Year of Release: 1964

What’s Up With The Cover?:  In the days of records, they would often list all the tracks on the front, so when you flipped through at the store you could see everything without pulling it out.  This album does that.  Below the titles, Dick Dale looks ultra-cool standing amid a bunch of surfboards, one of which looks pretty dinged up.  When I first looked at this cover I thought he was standing in a living room looking out the window, and the surf board on the right was one sides of the drapes.

How I Came To Know It: I think I first became dimly aware of Dick Dale from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack (reviewed way back at Disc 102) but it has only been more recently I’ve gotten interested in ‘surf guitar.’  I read a little bit about it, and went back and forth, but it was ultimately my renewed interest in muscle cars that drove me to buy 1963’s “Checkered Flag” and from there I was hooked. “Summer Surf” came very shortly thereafter, and more are on the way.

How It Stacks Up: I only have two Dick Dale albums, and if you’ve been reading along, you’ll already know which two.  More will follow, but for now, I’m going to say the two I own are equally good.

Rating: 4 stars

Ever wonder how we got from Chuck Berry to the Ramones?  At least one of those paths goes through Dick Dale, and his surfer guitar sound.

“Summer Surf” has elements of that early rock sound which makes sense, since in 1964 it is still relatively early in the life of what we think of as modern rock and roll.  At the same time, for music that is currently 48 years old it has a definite edge to it.

This is music for people who want to party, regardless of the era.  Unlike modern rock, it doesn’t feel the need to overtly shock you with lyrics, or go negative.  It is upbeat music for cool cats that just want to hang out at the beach with their girls and maybe a cooler of beers.

His signature rolling, rapid-fire reverb guitar sound is in strong evidence, with the momentum-laden “Banzai Washout,” the western-inspired “Tidal Wave” and the swing-like “Thunder Wave,” all brilliant instrumentals. 

This is what is great about Dick Dale that I didn’t notice on the first couple of listens.  Yes, he has rightfully placed his star brightly among rock and roll’s most famous axe-men for his own style, but he is not content , and is constantly experimenting with rock and roll. 

On “Summer Surf” he takes his sound in yet another direction, melding it with traditional Spanish guitar on “Spanish Kiss,” and works in inspirational gospel arrangements on “Glory Wave,” a song that compares riding a big wave to an experience in religious ecstasy.  Or maybe vice versa – it works either way.

In every case, he doesn’t just noodle about trying new things at his listeners’ expense.  He writes good songs that just get more interesting the more you play them.

This album isn’t all about the guitar, either.  There is plenty of horn section, piano and even a little harmonica to mix it up, all played with a groovy playfulness.  Dale’s guitar shows off just enough to leave you wanting more.

Of course, through it all, he remains loyal to the culture of surfing.  On the aforementioned “Glory Wave” he sings:

“I’m gonna ride that glory wave today
I’m gonna walk on the water like the good book say.”

The language of surfing is rampant throughout, with references to ‘hocking your woody’, and ‘genuine hot doggers’ that ‘shoot that curl all day.’  Even his Mom hangs ten on the playfully fun “Mama’s Gone Surfin’”.

The album closes with a couple of bonus tracks, “Who Can He Be” and “Oh Marie” that are  a lot more traditional fifties rock.  I enjoyed having these as well.  Even though I’m usually down on bonus tracks on an album, these ones fit in nicely, and showed another side of Dale worth a listen.

I was tempted to call this album a concept album, but really it is just a sub-genre of music that the cool kids dug back in 1964.  Just listening to it made me feel cool, 48 years after its release.  It is still cool, because good tunes don’t wipe out, man, they just keep riding that wave.

Best tracks:  Surfin’, Banzai Washout, Glory Wave, Mama’s Gone Surfin’, Tidal Wave.

No comments: