Wednesday, May 9, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 397: Rush


After a long day of work, I was tired when I got home and not in the mood to write (I have been writing all day).  Of course, if you only exercise a muscle when it isn’t tired, you never get stronger.

Speaking of which, I missed the gym today.  One muscle at a time, I suppose.
   
Disc 397 is…Grace Under Pressure
Artist: Rush

Year of Release: 1984

What’s Up With The Cover?:  A pretty typical prog rock cover.  A bald albino watches a seascape melt, Dali-like, into the border of album cover itself.  Even though it is collapsing in on itself, it is still beautiful.  Get it – grace under pressure!

How I Came To Know It: Although this came out shortly after “Signals” and was therefore in the musical wheelhouse of my teenage years, I didn’t get “Grace Under Pressure” until about six or seven years ago, as I was finishing up my Rush collection.

How It Stacks Up:  I have all eighteen of Rush’ studio albums.  Competition is fierce at the top, but “Grace Under Pressure” doesn’t have to worry about that, because it is near the bottom.  I’m going to say 16th, since there are a couple of albums I suspect might slip underneath it.

Rating: 3 stars

I have eighteen Rush albums, so I should hardly have to defend how much I like the band.  And yet, “Grace Under Pressure” tried my patience over the last couple of days.

This is the album that launched Rush in a new direction, with a lot more keyboard and a lot less of Alex Lifeson’s guitar wizardry.  They had taken tentative steps in that direction on “Signals” but on this record they push all their chips into the digital centre of the music board.

Lest you think this is the reason I don’t like this album as much as some, I would point out that 1987’s “Hold Your Fire” is one of my favourite Rush albums, and it is very much one of their eighties synth records.

I prefer “Hold Your Fire” for a couple of reasons, the first being that it is strongly melodic.  Not so, “Grace Under Pressure” which seems very experimental.  Rush has found a new artistic expression here, and they are determined – in Rush-like fashion – to explore it to its very edges.

It is an admirable quality, and it delivers a couple of brilliant songs when it feels like all the creative energy is rowing in the same direction.  When Lifeson’s guitar is mixed with the keyboard sound, like on the instrumental section of “Afterimage” it is a thing of beauty.  This song strongly reminded me of Blue Oyster Cult’s album from the previous year, “The Revolution By Night” and this was a good thing.

Unfortunately, at other times they seem more interested in combining as many disjointed sounds together as humanly possible.  The beginning of “The Body Electric” is a spastic combination of drum machines stripping Neil Peart of his power, and guitar licks that are good, but so far back in the mix for most of the song that they are an afterthought.  At one point I swear I hear someone playing the triangle because – well, because.

Then, “The Body Electric” brings the second reason I prefer “Hold Your Fire”; better lyrics.  “The Body Electric” is a song about an android trying to escape its programming and realize true intelligence.  At least I think that’s what it is about.  It is actually a pretty cool concept, but the chorus is “1-0-0-1-0-0-1.”  Seriously.  I’m sorry, but that’s just a bit too binary for my organic chemistry to appreciate.

Kid Gloves” has fairly strong lyrics about the loss of innocence, and although I don’t like the song that much, I’ll give it credit for that.  Not so, “red lenses” which follows up with some terribly strained rhymes:

“I see red
It hurts my head
Guess it must be something
That I read.”

Peart is one of rock and roll’s great thinkers, and great lyricists, and it is sad to see him miss like this.  The tune was also practically unfollowable musically for me, although I did appreciate the gratuitous cowbell.  There is no such thing as too much cowbell.

So, that’s the bad stuff, but fortunately there are a couple of absolute gems on this record that make up for a lot, and have me still pulling this off the shelf despite its shortcomings.

The first is the single that was released, “Distant Early Warning”, a reference to the DEW line, set up to monitor Canada’s north from Soviet incursion.

It needs to be remembered that “Grace Under Pressure” came out at the height of the Cold War.  Reagan was demanding the Russians tear down the wall, and a barrage of missiles from the two superpowers pointed at one another ready to destroy the entire human civilization.  If you were a teenager back, you seriously doubted our chances to get out of it alive.

Distant Early Warning” somehow captures the spirit of that age, but thoughtfully, rather than in an angry or panicky way.  The tune is sublime and the use of keyboard and synthesizer is absolutely perfect for the mood.  Whatever production challenges this record has elsewhere, I wouldn’t change a thing about “Distant Early Warning.”  The keyboard chords are stark, and full of ill omens and portents.  The guitar driven chorus follows on, before the song returns to a simple and subdued bass line.  Again, Lifeson’s guitar work had me thinking of similar work from B.O.C.’s Buck Dharma, again in a good way.  Atop it, Lee’s vocals give voice to Peart’s lyrical plea for the world to embrace some common sense:

“Left and rights of passage
Black and whites of youth
Who can face the knowledge
That the truth is not the truth?
Obsolete
Absolute
Absalom.”

The other amazing track on this album is one of my all-time favourite Rush songs, “Red Sector A.”  Musically, all of the perfect notes struck in “Distant Early Warning” are hit again, an appropriately troubling bass-line that would be home on “Another Brick In The Wall,” and keyboards as grandiose as church organs and even Peart’s drums sounding tough in the mix.

The song is about a family living in a concentration camp, starving and bereft of hope.  It could very easily be about the Nazi death camps of World War Two, given that Geddy Lee’s mother was an actual survivor of one of those camps.  The best image:

“For my father and my brother it’s too late
But I must help my mother stand up straight.”

I like the way this evokes an image of a young boy being comforted by a mother’s arm around his shoulder, but in his own mind he is standing up straight and supporting her.  This basic human response is important to me, because the chorus of “Red Sector A” asks”

“Are we the last ones left alive?
Are we the only human beings to survive?”

Speaking of basic human response, this section makes you wonder what it might be like in some apocalyptic future where the earth itself is conquered, and instead of putting each other in concentration camps, our entire race ended up there.

Like any great song, it leaves that open to interpretation, and just focuses on the emotional core even in the most awful of experiences.

While “Red Sector A” and “Distant Early Warning” are rock classics in my mind, they aren’t enough to elevate the entire album to where it needs to be all on their own.  They are enough to elevate it from simply average to good, however.

Best tracks: Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Grace under Pressure was the first Rush album I bought right when it came out, so it has a special place in my heart. That said, it is kind of a so-so album. Rush was heavily influenced by The Police at the time, and I think they tried a little too hard to approximate their sound. There are several killer tracks on the album, though – “Red Sector A” is one of their all-time classics, featuring one of Alex Lifeson’s greatest guitar solos (he has said himself in interviews that it is a personal favourite) and the album is worth buying for that track alone. It’s also one of the few Rush tracks where I prefer the studio version to live ones, so there’s another reason to get it. When I first got the album, I always thought that the song took place in a dystopian future where “undesirables” across the world were herded into camps – it seemed to fit the album’s sci-fi themes – but as an adult, the Holocaust references are a far more obvious explanation. Little bit of Rush trivia: Red Sector A is the name of the area where Rush watched the space shuttle launch from in 1982 when they were invited by NASA.

I also love “Distant Early Warning”. The final lines – Geddy’s impassioned repeating of the name Absalom – Absalom are very affecting. Absalom was the name of King David’s (the guy who took out Goliath) son, who was killed against his father’s wishes after trying to take over his father’s kingdom. David’s words as he sat grieving by his son’s body were “Absalom, Absalom. My son, my son. Would God I had died for thee”. In the context of the song I always took it to mean the grief the song’s narrator feels for the world, which is “lost”, and his conviction that he would gladly take its place if it meant saving it.

I’m surprised you didn’t like “The Body Electric”, as I feel it is another standout track. The beginning is extremely catchy and intriguing (no drum machines, just bass and drums with the occasional guitar chord) and the lyrics inspired. Yeah the chorus is a little goofy, but lyrically it’s a cool concept. 1001001 expressed in decimal notation is 73, and 73 in ASCII (American Standard Code [for] Information Interchange, the protocol which governs the expression of standard text in a digital environment) is “I”. Very meaningful in the context of a machine trying to retain its sense of self against the demands of its programming and the fellow machines trying to bring it into line. When interspersed with verses such as:

Guidance systems break down
A struggle to exist –
To resist
A pulse of dying power
In a clenching plastic fist

It becomes very powerful indeed.

No love for “Between the Wheels”? Again, another standout track, one Rush has been playing on their recent tours and knocking out of the park every time. I love the dissonance and relentless bleakness of those hammering keyboard chords, accompanied by Alex’s angry guitar feedback. It’s such an apocalyptic song.

The other songs are pretty weak, agreed, with the exception of “Afterimage”, which I think is a very emotional song, both lyrically and musically. It’s dedicated to Robbie Whelan, a longtime member of Rush’s stage crew who died in a car accident. It’s also one of those rare songs where Geddy plays no bass, only keyboards.

It should also be noted that in this album the band finally completed their “Fear” trilogy which started in Moving Pictures with “Witch Hunt”, which was Part III. The Body Electric is Part I (yeah they released it in reverse order – it’s a long story), and on the tour for this album the band began playing this trilogy in its entirety (it should be mentioned that in the album Vapor Trails Rush release Part IV of “Fear”, which is entitled “Freeze”, however I don’t know if they’ve ever performed it live).