Friday, October 12, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 447: Alice Cooper


I’ve had a nice productive day of getting chores done as well as fulfilling my creative needs.  I’ve just finished a good two hour session writing my new book, and now I’m going to come down off of that literary high in the halfway house of the mind that is a blog entry.

This time it is a continuation of the Alice Cooper Reign of Terror.  I've randomly rolled 4 Alice Cooper albums in the last eighteen reviews, three of those in the last eight.  Weird.

Disc 447 is… Alice Cooper Goes to Hell
Artist: Alice Cooper

Year of Release: 1976

What’s up with the Cover?  A relatively boring head and shoulders shot of Alice.  With that tint to his skin he looks less like he’s gone to hell and more like he’s gone to sea and found it disagreed with him.

How I Came To Know It:  I’ve known Alice Cooper all my life, and this particular album since about my late teens.  I bought this originally on tape, partly because I knew I always liked Alice, and partly because I’d never heard of any of the songs on it, and this intrigued me even more.

How It Stacks Up:  I have twenty-six Alice Cooper albums, which I think is all of them.  “Goes to Hell” is one of my all-time favourites, but competition at the top is fierce, and it only manages to work its way up to seventh.

Rating:  4 stars.

I’ve never been a fan of musicals, but if more musicals were like “Alice Cooper Goes to Hell” I’d have to rethink my position.

Make no mistake; this record deserves to be made into a musical.  It already has all the component pieces.  “Goes to Hell” is a concept album that tells the story of a man who is condemned to hell, where he meets the Devil, pleads for his life and then ultimately admits his guilt, only to find it was all a dream – or was it?

Yeah this is a pretty tired plotline, but “Goes to Hell” covers it well and is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than “The Wizard of Oz” and look how famous that was.  Unlike “Wizard of Oz” Cooper covers pretty much every style of popular music along the way, from hard rock to disco to Broadway and even a remake of “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” which was sung by Judy Garland in 1941.  And so we come full circle and return to our story.

The album begins with “Go To Hell” a song that lays down a funky bass line only to slather a thick coat of rock and roll all over it.  It is vintage shock-rock Alice Cooper, as he decries his alter ego’s many crimes, starting with the real ones:

“For criminal acts and violence on the stage
For being a brat refusing to act your age
For all of the decent citizens you’ve enraged
You can go to Hell”

And moving on to ridiculously malicious sins such as “making your Grandma sick”, “poisoning a blind man’s dog”, and my favourite, gift wrapping a leper and mailing him to your Aunt Jane.  Yet for all its silliness, this is one monster rock song that gets the album off with a bang.

Following up on this song, our unrepentant anti-hero decides to go dancing, in this case to a disco song called “You Gotta Dance” which gets your hips moving, your body swaying and even features the finest of seventies rock instruments; the cowbell, which is played with Will Ferrell-like abandon.

After a brief laid back-funk track introduces Satan (“I’m the Coolest”) the album picks up again beautifully as our narrator tries to figure out where he’s seen the devil before.  This song is Cooper showing his range from the hesitant piano that opens the song with Cooper’s querulous “Pardon me/But you see/I’ve seen that face before” and then launches into yet more rock guitar greatness, mixed with a healthy dose of showmanship.  Cooper is an actor and entertainer at heart, and he plays all the characters in the song to great effect.

For all its silly fun, “Goes to Hell” still manages to deliver some moments of pop music magic that stand perfectly strong on their own outside the album’s concept.  “I Never Cry” is a five star ballad that I can’t go two days without finding myself humming in the shower, even when I haven’t played it in months (which is rare).

I Never Cry” is a harbinger of Cooper’s full descent into alcohol abuse, and it is written with the painful clarity of someone who sees all his bad habits without filter or misunderstanding, but pursues them anyway.  Cooper describes how it is to be so famous that you can get away with all manner of crimes to yourself, and people will just watch you go down:

“Sometimes I drink more than I need
Until the TV’s dead and gone
I may be lonely
But I’m never alone
And the night may pass me by
But I’ll never cry.”

I Never Cry” is also one of Cooper’s finest vocal performances.  I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; he’s an underrated singer, likely because his stage shows have always overshadowed his talent.  “I Never Cry” would work regardless on the strength of its got great song construction and production decisions, but the magic happens because Cooper is willing to completely put himself out there, both vocally and lyrically.  Take my advice and YouTube it!

After this song, the album returns to its showtune/musical quality as our hero pleads for freedom (“Give the Kid a Break” and then accepts his fate “Guilty” before eventually waking up with “Going Home.”

Going Home” has some very schmaltzy lyrics, and out of context it comes off a bit saccharine but the song itself has a strong melody that caries it off, and within the context of the full album, it is exactly what is needed to finish the record off.

“Goes to Hell” is one of those albums that is sadly unappreciated, maybe because it came out so soon after the splashy “Welcome to My Nightmare.” Also, if you only like the hard rock side of Alice Cooper some of these songs are going to be jarring for you, as he experiments with the other sounds of 1976 like disco and soul.  However it is this experimentation that keeps the record so fresh for me many years later.  It would be a mistake to overlook this album simply because you don’t recognize any of the songs.  You may not know them but trust me, you want to.

Best tracks:  Go To Hell, Didn’t We Meet, I Never Cry, Guilty, Wake Me Gently, Wish You Were Here 

No comments: