Wednesday, October 17, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 448: Mark Knopfler


The CD Odyssey rolls on.  At one time this artist was getting rolled so often I actually had to establish a Reign of Terror in his name.  Now it has been a while and I’m glad to return to him with the best CD he’s made yet in his solo career.

Disc 448 is… Golden Heart
Artist: Mark Knopfler

Year of Release: 1996

What’s up with the Cover?  A golden heart-shaped necklace.  Pretty literal, but I love this cover’s simplicity and soothing colour scheme.  It is understated, classy and artfully arranged, much like Knopfler’s solo career over the years.

How I Came To Know It:  I liked Dire Straits, but I hadn’t given Knopfler much thought since they broke up.  Then I saw a video for “Darling Pretty” on the Canadian video music channel (CMT).  That was back when music video channels actually played music videos.  I probably stopped flipping channels because of the pretty girl in the video, but I stayed because of how beautiful the song was.  Like that Mark had me again, and I’ve followed his whole second career since.

How It Stacks Up:  I just purchased Mark Knopfler’s latest effort “Privateering” and now have nine albums including two collaborative efforts.  When I reviewed “Sailing to Philadelphia” way back at Disc 136 I put it first, but listening to this one again makes me realize they are in a statistical tie for best.  Since I don’t like equivocating if I can avoid it, I’m going to edge “Golden Heart” slightly out in front for #1.  This can only mean its rating is…

Rating:  5 stars.

Eighteen years after Dire Straits first took us down to the water line “Golden Heart” reminds us that there is no expiry date on genius.  Without his band, and well into middle age, Knopfler reinvents his career with this record in stunning fashion. 

Of course, the standard Knopfler fare is here; namely the greatest guitar virtuoso you will ever hear on either side of heaven.  He delivers catchy blues-rock riffs on the opening track, “Darling Pretty,” with the gusto of someone who just got his first recording contract.  The guitar fills the air with a full, round sound that is so complete it is like its chemically bonding to the air itself.  As you breathe in it hits you from the inside out.

He plays straight ahead “Money for Nothing” rock riffs on “Imelda” a song about the excesses of Imelda Marcos of the Philippines.  Making an interesting rock song about Imelda Marcos would stretch anyone, but Knopfler not only makes it catchy, he manages to educate you in the process about the woman who simply couldn’t have enough shoes, even as the people under her went hungry.

On “No Can Do” he weaves jazz guitar interludes throughout a complex song without ever muddying the melody.  The only musician who can equal Knopfler playing around inside a theme so artfully would be Rush drummer Neal Peart.  Both men are so accomplished they likely need to make it harder on themselves just to keep it interesting, but they do it so adroitly that they never disrupt a song’s natural flow.  I don’t even like “No Can Do” that much, but the understated excellence draws me in every time.

When Knopfler just relaxes and plucks out a contemporary folk song like “Golden Heart” he is equally awesome, showing that he can also play it straight and convey just as much emotion in his instrument as when he’s at full noodle.

In fact, one thing I love about “Golden Heart” as an album is how understated it is.  After so long in the business, and all his success as the brain trust and chief talent of Dire Straits, Knopfler has nothing to prove, and that knowledge seems to help him arrange songs that features other instruments as much as his own when the situation warrants.

The opening notes of the first song are not guitar, but violin, and are every bit as important to the sound as Knopfler, and every bit as brilliant.  No surprise that the violin is played by Sean Keane from the Chieftains.  Liam O’Flynn’s Uillean pipes set the mournful, romantic tone for “A Night In Summer Long Ago” without which the song’s story wouldn’t be nearly as compelling.

Did I mention story?  In his later years Knopfler has blended his considerable rock talents with the skills of a master storyteller in the finest folk traditions.  “Golden Heart” is him delivering his fusion of talents at his best.

A Night in Summer Long Ago” is the romantic tale of a knight pining for a lady that can never truly be his:

“My lady may I have this dance
Forgive a knight who knows no shame
My lady may I have this dance
And lady may I know your name?
You danced upon a soldier’s arm
And I felt the blade of love so keen
And when you smiled you did me harm
And I was drawn to you my queen.”

These lines and later references to our narrator’s boots that “will never shine like his” make me feel like Knopfler is drawing heavily from the story of Launcelot and Guinevere, and infusing it with all the tragedy and glorious and wrong-headed love that tale deserves.  I have heard this song hundreds of times and every time I hear it I just want to bust out Le Morte D’Arthur and read the whole damn thing again from cover to cover.

Other songs are less fanciful but equally moving.  The five star epic “Done with Bonaparte” tells the story of the French retreat from Russia in the teeth of a biting winter through the eyes of an ordinary rifleman, who has come to curse his ‘little corporal’:

“We’ve paid in hell since Moscow burned
As Cossacks tear us piece by piece
Our dead are strewn a hundred leagues
Though death would be a sweet release
And our grand armee is dressed in rags
A frozen starving beggar band
Like rats we steal each other’s scraps
Fall to fighting hand to hand.”

Damn if this song doesn’t make me feel sympathy for a single soldier over two hundred years ago that didn’t specifically even exist, and yet is the summation of all the horrors of war individuals suffer when glory and ambition fade in the cruel light of day.

Other songs on “Golden Heart” are more introspective, providing lessons on love from someone who’s obviously given the subject serious thought beyond a pop single.  “I’m the Fool” is a beautiful apology song in the same vein as Steve Earle’s “Valentine’s Day” or the recently reviewed Tom Waits track “Long Way Home.”

Nobody’s got the Gun” is a constant reminder to me about one of the keys to a lasting relationship; not feeling the need to win at all costs.  Leonard Cohen once sang:

“Maybe there’s a God above
As for me all I seem to learn from love
Is how to shoot at someone who outdrew ya.”

Knopfler reminds us that you don’t have to shoot; in fact you don’t even need a gun.  Knopfler counters:

“Nobody’s got to be number one
Nobody’s got the gun.”

It is a song about de-escalating an argument even when you could just as easily take another shot.  No one does it perfectly, but it is refreshing to hear a song so artfully describe its importance to a healthy relationship.

“Golden Heart’s” brilliant musicianship, artful songwriting, and thoughtful lyrics are equal to anything Dire Straits did a decade prior.  Don’t let its more folky, quieter sound dissuade you – it just means you have to take the time to listen a bit more carefully.  True beauty steals into only the quietest of souls, after all.

Best tracks:  All of them are good, but my absolute favourites are Darling Pretty, Golden Heart, Don’t You Get It, A Night in Summer Long Ago, I’m the Fool, Nobody’s Got the Gun, Done With Bonaparte and Are We in Trouble Now.

So yeah, most of them.  

No comments: