Tuesday, October 23, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 450: Wailin Jennys


I’ve had to run a bunch of errands this week and as a result I took my car to work a couple days in a row.  I’ve really missed getting my walk in, drinking my coffee and letting my mind wander with whatever music I’m listening to.

Instead I’ve reverted back to the ‘in the car’ listening that was more common when I started the CD Odyssey.  The short city drive is a lot more mentally engaging than the long highway drive to Sidney I used to do, and not so musically immersive, but I still got in a couple good listens of this next album, and I know it well in any case.

Disc 450 is… Firecracker
Artist: The Wailin’ Jennys

Year of Release: 2006

What’s up with the Cover?  The cover is designed to look like some vintage box of firecrackers or something like that.  It is OK, but nothing to write home about.  All three little girl heads are crying, making me wonder if there was a fireworks accident.  A timely reminder of safety first this Halloween, you crazy kids.

How I Came To Know It:  I am a huge fan of the Jennys’ earlier album, “Forty Days” (reviewed way back at Disc 92), so when this one came out I bought it without hesitation.  I also saw them touring in support of this album, and so had heard a number of songs from it in advance.

How It Stacks Up:  I have all three Wailin’ Jennys albums.  Of the three, “Firecracker” is excellent, but still second to “Forty Days”

Rating:  4 stars.

Two years after their first album, the Jennys returned in 2006 with a new lineup (Annabelle Chvostek replacing Cara Luft) and a new record, “Firecracker.”  Against the odds, the Jennys had replaced one third of their lineup and still managed to capture lightning in a bottle for a second time.

This time the slightly bluesier and more contemporary sounding Annabelle Chvostek had joined the lineup.  I had just seen the tour for the new songs, so I wasn’t concerned how she would fit into the harmonies, although I am a bit amazed the Jennys were able to so seamlessly blend Chvostek’s voice in and carry on at such a high level.

In many respects, “Firecracker” is a superior album musically to “Forty Days” even if the latter speaks more to my soul.  “Firecracker” has a modern edge to it that really helps its artistic range.  In listening to it, I was reminded of how important Jimmy Rankin was to the Rankin Family, providing an update to the music, while still staying firmly within Canadian folk traditions.

As with the previous album, all three Jennys contribute songs to the record.  Newcomer Chvostek leads the record off with the fast-paced “Devil’s Paintbrush Road” which is a song that evokes images of a double-time knee slap around a campfire, if only to drive the dark spirits a little further off, for just a little longer.

Chvostek also contributes “Swallow” which has a bit of a strained chorus (“oh swallow/ what did you swallow?”) but apart from that has a strong and sweet melody, and features a Chvostek playing a sweet mandolin as well.

Nicky Mehta’s contributions are more traditional in flavor, but they are also the glue that holds Chvostek’s contemporary flair with Moody’s soft spoken spiritualism.  I don’t favour her four songs as much but without them the album would lose its subtle centre, and sometimes that’s the hardest part of a record to get right.  Songs like “Starlight” are an artful combination of harmony constructions, violin pieces and drum beats that demonstrate what the Jennys do best, which is make each other better.

When Mehta leads her two fellow Jennys into the opening of “Avila” singing:

“O sweet peace, never have you fallen
Never have you fallen upon this town.”

She does so quietly, leaving plenty of room for the harmonies to swell together.  The Jennys have the most beautiful harmonies I’ve ever heard, and “Avila” has this talent on full display.  It isn’t my favourite song on the record, but it is worth a pause to admire it in all its selfless simplicity.

That said, once again I find myself drawn mostly to Ruth Moody’s songs.  Although all three Jennys get a hold of my heart, Moody’s voice always seems to wrap its embrace a little bit tighter.

Glory Bound” is a devotional that sounds like it has existed for one hundred and sixty years, but has only been around for six.  I’m not a religious man, but this song reminds me that there is a depth to the human spirit that transcends any institutional expression.  Moody’s solo vocals lift me out of myself, and then perfectly timed harmonies give it wings.

My other Moody favourite is “Prairie Town” which speaks to me about the experience of leaving a small town for something (hopefully) bigger.  However Moody’s leaving is bitter-sweet, and the going is fraught with inner conflict.  Parting with her home town is like breaking up with a first love – or maybe it’s the other way around.  Whatever the case the tone is mournful, emotionally conflicted and yet wholly necessary.  Out here on the west coast, we like to say “when it rains it pours” but Moody reminds us:

“When it rains it snows in this prairie town
There’s a good three inches on the ground.
It seems I’ll be losing any peace I’ve found.”
The song is as cold and open as I imagine the prairies would be to the lonely.  It makes me grateful for the rain.

Moody has a great solo album as well called “The Garden” which I heartily recommend, but more on that when I roll it.  For now I’ll just say she’s my favourite Jenny and leave it at that.

The album ends with a return to Chvostek and the title track, “Firecracker” which rather than providing a quiet fade to the record, has a feeling like things are just getting started.  My favourite verse is:

“You can get used to almost anything
Deep sea eyes and porcelain skin
Love sweet nests and their boxing rings
It’s late night heading into morning.”

There’s a tempest to the relationship in this song that is palpable, charged with the energy and abandon of an all-nighter.  Lyrically and musically “Firecracker” and fittingly ends the album with a bang.

The Wailin’ Jennys are one of Canada’s great folk bands, and their rendition of “The Parting Glass” was recently featured on an episode of the hit show “The Walking Dead.”  I hope that exposure gives them the fame they richly deserve, whatever their lineup, because they deserve it.

Best tracks:  Glory Bound, This Heart of Mine, Long Time Traveller, Avila, Prairie Town, Firecracker.

No comments: