Wednesday, January 23, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 480: Public Enemy


The Odyssey rolls on, approaching 500 reviews!  What will I do when I get there, dear readers?  Keep on goin’, I suppose...

Disc 480 is…Fear of a Black Planet
Artist: Public Enemy

Year of Release: 1990

What’s up with the Cover?  The imminent collision of planets!  Although the writing style would make you logically think of Star Wars, this cover reminds me of a movie I recently saw; Lars Von Trier’s “Melancholia.”  “Melancholia” is a movie about how a group of characters react to the very real possibility that a large planet may crash into the earth…or may just miss us; scientists aren’t telling.

In this case, the collision planet is apparently the Public Enemy planet, complete with massive logo.  Underneath, stock ticker style, you are reminded that this album is not in fact about celestial collisions but is instead “The counterattack on world supremacy.”  As headlines go, that one needs work.

How I Came To Know It:  One of my friends in university was a guy named Jeff, who was from Toronto, who I have sadly lost contact with.  He tried to get me to listen to both this and Ice T, but I had little interest in either at the time (I was new to my folk music phase).  A few years later when my roommate Greg also had this album I gave it a chance and liked it a bit more, and eventually I liked it enough to buy it for myself.  So I guess to summarize how I came to know it?  Gradually.

How It Stacks Up:  I have three Public Enemy albums.  I have to put this one last of those three, despite its important place in music history.

Rating:  4 stars

“Fear of a Black Planet is the artistic endpoint for the heady days before artists had to pay for samples, and represents the best and worst of that period.

There are so many samples on this record, music, dialogue, various sounds – you name it.  Like the most skillful conductor, Public Enemy pulls together this disparate soup into exceptionally catchy musical arrangements.  Despite it being vilified in the day by the ignorant (including me at the time), this takes an incredible skill and an unflinching artistic vision.  It is hard to pack this much stuff into a song and not end up with a hot mess.

At the same time, I can’t help but find the album a bit busy for my personal tastes.  It may be done brilliantly but at the end of the day there is still just too much going on for me.  A classic example is on “Burn Hollywood Burn” which in addition to multiple music samples, has a recurring whistle sound.  The sound is very evocative of a traffic cop, and in the context of the song you can picture a cop blowing his whistle as he diverts traffic away from arson.  In this case the arson is in the form of Public Enemy’s rhymes against Hollywood’s racial stereotypes.  I can’t deny that it works but I find the whistle, clever as it is, prevents me from having a deeper emotional connection with the song.  Despite that, this is one of my favourite songs, because I simply can’t deny Chuck D’s amazing rap action and the old school beats the band lays down.

Strangely, I find the saturation of sound less frustrating on the instrumental tracks, and “Contract on the World Love Jam” and “Leave This Off Your Fuckin’ Charts” are two of my favourite songs, despite their insatiable appetite for sampling.

Lyrically, Public Enemy has a well-deserved reputation for taking on anything and everything, and “Fear of a Black Planet” explores every awkward element of race relations in America in unflinching fashion.  Gone are the days of merely rapping about how well you can rap, and yet they also reject the equally two dimensional topics of drugs and murder that would later grow into gangsta rap.

The songs tackle topics like interracial relationships, black stereotypes in entertainment, and the double standard of 911 response in bad neighbourhoods (on the Flavor Flav classic, “911 is a Joke”).  They end the record giving a musical middle finger to Elvis Presley on “Fight the Power.”  When they aren’t confronting a tough topic, they are deconstructing the way they are perceived by the public and the media reacting to them.  Ordinarily I would find this post-modern rehash annoying, but Public Enemy are so good at it I can’t fault them.  Sadly, “Fear of a Black Planet” doesn’t have a standout on this topic like “Don’t Believe the Hype” off their previous album.

In fact, for all my respect for “Fear of a Black Planet,” I find I prefer their previous two albums, “It Takes a Nation of Millions” and “Yo! Bum Rush the Show.”  A big part of this is my aforementioned preference for the simpler arrangements and lower sample content where the band’s natural brilliance shines through a bit better.

Regrettably, for all its innovation, “Fear of a Black Planet” suffers from the all-too-common recording sing of not knowing when to say when.  The album is bloated at twenty tracks, and that bloating gives it a directionless quality that makes it a lot less memorable.  I would have preferred fourteen tight tracks that hit you hard, and don’t give you any filler time to catch your breath.

In many ways, “Fear of a Black Planet” reminds me of Led Zeppelin’s first album (reviewed way back at Disc 27). On the one hand I recognize its creative brilliance, but on the other I find it doesn’t connect to me as strongly as a lot of other contemporary rap artists, or even PE’s own earlier records.  Like Zeppelin, it is a five star album for influence, musicianship and production, but a three star album in terms of how I react to it.  And so like that album, I split the difference and rated it at four.

Best tracks:  Contract on the World Love Jam, Brother’s Gonna Work It Out, 911 is a Joke, Burn Hollywood Burn, Revolutionary Generation, Leave This Off Your Fuckin’ Charts, Fight the Power

No comments: