Wednesday, July 10, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 529: Rush

The CD Odyssey requires one full listen before I review, but sometimes after a single listen I don’t feel like I’ve sufficiently grokked the record to talk about it.  So it was with this next album, which I’ve listened to three times over.  Each listen has been a better experience, which is how a good record should treat you.

Disc 529 is…. Fly By Night
Artist: Rush

Year of Release: 1975

What’s up with the Cover?  Owl!

How I Came To Know It:  I’ve known the song “Fly by Night” since I was a kid, and when I started building my Rush collection in the early nineties this was one of the first albums I bought.

How It Stacks Up:  I have 19 Rush albums, which I think is all of their studio releases.  Competition is fierce at the top, but I’ll put “Fly By Night” ahead of most of their work so let’s say…6th.  Just behind “Caress of Steel.”

Rating:  4 stars

1975 and enter drummer and lyricist Neil Peart, and with his entry Rush became the band that went on to worldwide fame.  As much as I get a kick out of the fun-lovin’ rock and roll of their debut album, it is this new incarnation of Rush that made them interesting and durable and to me this is the first of their great records.

The band’s earlier sound is still present, particularly in tracks like “Best I Can” and “Making Memories.”  “Making Memories” is positively mainstream, and has a laid back feel that made me think of stubby beer bottles, cut off shorts and cannonballs into the local lake (not that I ever  cannonballed anyone – it always seemed more rude than fun).  These straight ahead rock songs aren’t may favourites on the album, but I like them and as weird and progressive as Rush gets, these songs show that they could play straight ahead hard rock songs with the best of ‘em if they were moved to.

But of course an album of straight ahead rock songs would bore this trio of musical maestros, and so they welcomed odd-ball and book-worm Neil Peart into their band for drumming excellence and lyrical inspiration. At the same time as Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson began taking the music down more interesting pathways.

The hit that resulted was the title track, “Fly By Night.” Like any great rock song it has a memorable introductory riff, but the song infuses a much more interesting melody into what could be just another summer anthem.  As the song itself says, almost self-referentially:

“Start a new chapter
I find what I’m after
Is changing every day
The change of a season
Is enough of a reason
To want to get away.”

Of course they seamlessly change the song’s tempo and melody as Geddy sings these lyrics, the kind of in-song gymnastics that would become their hallmark.  It should be worth noting that while undertaking all this sonic flexibility, they don’t forget to make the song catchy in its own weirdly beautiful way.

Along with a fresher sound, the album features the beginning of some wild and fantastical topics.  At its best, their literary and fantastical references are wonderful.  “Rivendell” is inspired by the mythical Elven kingdom from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth.  What could have been a laughable piece of fan fiction in the wrong hands is instead a beautiful depiction – musically and lyrically – of a magical place of rest and respite.  Lifeson’s guitar playing is gentle and dreamlike and Geddy wisely sings it light and airy so it sounds relaxed throughout.  I won’t quote the lyrics, because it is one of those songs that loses something without the dimension of sound.

When Rush goes too far, however, it can get ridiculous, as we hear on the ridiculous “By-Tor & The Snow Dog”:

“The tomb of Hades, lit by flickering torchlight
The nether world is gathered in the glare
Prince By-Tor takes the cavern to the north light
The sign of Eth is rising in the air.
By-Tor, knight of darkness,
Centurion of evil, devil's prince”

What the hell?  I’ve heard this song many times and while what it is about (a battle between some evil demon named “By-Tor” and some mythical ermine-coated guardian called “The Snow Dog” it always makes me laugh.  Musically interesting, the lyrics are too over the top, and pull me out of the moment.  Also, with no frame of reference I don’t really care that the Snow Dog triumphs over By-Tor.  Somewhere in Neil Peart’s rough notes I suspect the beginnings of a very bad short story.  Please never finish it, Neil.

The album ends with one of my all-time favourite Rush deep cuts, “In the End.”  At 6:46, this song takes its time getting going, delivering an entire verse in stripped down, slow-tempo as it draws you in, setting you up for Lifeson’s kick-ass guitar rock riff and even a subtle bit of funk guitar tucked in behind for the first couple of bars.  This song is simple in construction, but filled with fist-pumping energy, a heartfelt (and grounded) guitar solo and a vibe that makes you want to go out and take on the world.

In some ways, “Fly by Night” is a transition album for Rush, as they still hold onto some of their more traditional conventions while also establishing their own unique sound.  However it is so good at blending the two trends that to call it a simply a transition album would be to do it a disservice.  It doesn’t come out in the top five of their records like I expected it to, but it comes damn close.


Best tracks:  Anthem, Fly By Night, Rivendell, In the End

No comments: