Wednesday, July 17, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 531: The Rankin Family

I’m currently working the early shift (starting at 5:30 a.m.).  It has only been three days, so the novelty is still there and I like the quiet of the walk, before traffic gets going.  Later it will start to wear, but for now it’s not too bad.

This next album is also not too bad – it is downright good, in fact.

Disc 531 is…. Uprooted
Artist: Rankin Family (aka “The Rankins” for this album)

Year of Release: 1998

What’s up with the Cover?  A vaguely disturbing pastoral scene of a horse toiling under a red sky.  The painting is by Ken Nishi and is titled “Charlie Joe MacLean.”  The ghost of Charlie Joe is actually referenced in one of the album’s songs, “Weddings, Wakes and Funerals.”  I have no idea who Charlie Joe is, though.  You’ll have to ask Jimmy Rankin; he wrote the song.

How I Came To Know It:  This was just me, buying the Rankin Family albums as they came out.  What can I say?  When I like an artist I get into them.

How It Stacks Up:  First it was Soundgarden’s “Louder Than Love” then Rush’s “2112” and now for the third time in recent memory I find an album has impressed me more than I expected.  I have six Rankin Family CDs and I’d left room for “Uprooted” at #5.  Having listened to it though, I have to move it up so I’ll put it 3rd and bump “Endless Seasons” back to 5th.  It also means that “North Country” will likely get bumped when I review it, but then again maybe it will surprise me as well.  Always be willing to change your mind.

Rating:  3 stars but close to 4

“Uprooted” is the last album for the Rankins before they broke up (although they did reform several years later, at least briefly).  The album is a bit of a departure for them stylistically, which may account for why it jarred me so much in 1998 when it was released.

The record has the band dropping the ‘family’ from their title and identifying simply as “The Rankins.” The music is also a shift.  It still incorporates a goodly amount of traditional East Coast Celtic folk, but it adds in some more contemporary folk and a bit of pop as well.  Given where Jimmy Rankin’s solo albums would go after this record, I have to believe he was a big part of the shift.

The opening track, “Moving On” is a typical Rankin Family party song, with Jimmy and his sisters taking turns on verses.  It doesn’t break any new ground, but it is jumpy and gets the energy of the record up from the very beginning.

The real winners on this album are Jimmy Rankin songs where he is spreading his wings as a songwriter.  “Let It Go” is a poignant song about love’s collapse.  When Jimmy sings “you wanna stop the flame from burning/I just want to let it go” we’re reminded that sometimes the saddest death of a love affair is the one born out of resignation.

Jimmy also writes some great stuff for his sisters on this record, including “Bells” which showcases the amazing range of Heather Rankin.  She starts this song on a note I couldn’t reach and then climbs up an octave higher.  The song starts simple, with just John Morris on piano, and builds naturally like great songs do.

The pop elements on the album are generally kept tastefully restrained, although there are times when I would have toned them down further.  “Maybe You’re Right” has some strange background vocals that would be more at home on a pop starlet’s record than a serious folk album.  It is worth noting that the Rankins do all the vocal effects without the abomination that is Autotune.  Also, hearing Heather Rankin sing the line “when the shit hits the fan” on “Long Way to Go” sounds a bit jolted.  A voice so sweet just sounds weird wrapped around sour words.  Given how sweet her voice is, though, it is a minor quibble.

There are still plenty of excellent traditional sounding songs on the record.  Most are crowded onto what we old-timers would refer to as “Side Two” giving the latter half of the record a bit more of what fans at the time were probably expecting.  Traditional Gaelic songs like “O Tha Mo Dhuil Ruit (Oh How I Love Thee)” and “An Innis Aigh (The Happy Isle)” are classic Rankin Family, with the beautiful, powerful harmonies of sisters Cookie, Raylene and Heather.  The band has always been fortunate in having so many great voices all together.

Brother John Morris also delivers his usual writing excellence on “The Parlour Medley.”  John Morris could really wail on a violin, in that heavy stepping Cape Breton style that is full of sway and life and makes you want to get up and kick some floorboards.

For all these, my favourite traditional song is “Farewell to Lochaber.”  I can’t be certain, but I think this is a song about a soldier having to leave Scotland after the Bonnie Prince Charlie’s rebellion failed in 1746.  A number of chiefs and retainers fled Scotland with Bonnie Prince Charlie, never to return.  Hearing this song, from the perspective of one of the soldiers saying goodbye to his sweetheart – as it turns out, forever – is heartbreaking.

It helps that one of my favourite pictures (a print of which graces the wall of our living room) is J.B. MacDonald’s “Lochaber No More.”  Here’s a picture of it.


If you look at the bottom right you’ll see one of my favourite details; a highlander taking a cup of seawater from the shores of Lochaber – a memento of his home while in exile.  Damn, it’s heartbreaking.  But I digress…

Back to “Uprooted” which as I noted above, is a great mix of traditional and modern, upbeat and melancholy.  This album really grew on me, and although I loved what Jimmy did on his solo work out of the gate, it makes you realize how much magic he had with the family, even as they all prepared to take an extended break.


Best tracks:  Let It Go, Bells, Parlour Medley, Tailor’s Daughter, Lochaber No More

No comments: