Wednesday, June 18, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 631: Guru

I’m in the middle of reading Steve Earle’s novel, “I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive.” Those who read this blog know I think very highly of Earle as a singer/songwriter and he isn’t a bad novelist either. It gives me hope that I can have a second career as a novelist as well. For now, I’ll just do another blog entry.

Disc 631 is….Jazzmatazz 3: Streetsoul
Artist: Guru

Year of Release: 2000

What’s up with the Cover? Guru looking cool out on the street, his pencil-thin hipster moustache ten years ahead of its time. Fun fact – if you could pan the picture up and to the right, you’d see Pink Floyd’s floating pig above that factory building in the background. OK, maybe not.

How I Came To Know It: My friend Casey originally put me on to Guru’s Jazzmatazz series – this was just me buying another entry in the catalogue.

How It Stacks Up:  I have three Guru albums, all from his ‘Jazzmatazz’ series. “Streetsoul” is admittedly my least favourite.

Rating:  2 stars

The introductory track to Jazzmatazz 3: Streetsoul bills itself as “One of the hottest blends of hip hop, soul, R&B and jazz ever.” This would apply nicely to Guru’s first Jazzmatazz album released back in 1993, but it is an overly bold claim the third entry in the series.

Guru (short for Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal) is one half of the amazing rap duo “Gang Starr” and also one of the most insightful vocalists in music. His intellect shines through on Gang Starr albums and he carries that through easily to his collaborations with other artists on all the albums in the Jazzmatazz series as well. The first in the series, which came out in 1993 was a classic album, ahead of its time.

Unfortunately, “Streetsoul” doesn’t stand as tall. Guru’s efforts to fuse jazz into his music is muted here, replaced with collaborations with various other hip hop artists. There is nothing wrong with hip hop collaborations, and “Streetsoul” has some exceptional artists (among them Macy Gray, Donell Jones and Erykah Badu) but the only true jazz musician that I could identify was Herbie Hancock.

By 2000 it feels like the whole ‘Guy X featuring Girl Y” thing was well on its way, and while it can make magic moments (think Eminem and Dido on “Stan”) often it just feels like empty pop music.

I will give Guru credit for rarely letting his lyrics descend into empty pop territory. In fact, he is typically very good at using his slow conversational rap style to deliver important personal and social messages. I wish there were more rappers taking risks like Guru, and I wish he hadn’t been taken from us so soon (dying of cancer in 2010).

That said, talking about important topics is not enough – you need to have innovative raps, and songs that hold my attention, and there just aren’t enough of these on “Streetsoul.”

There are some highpoints, among them the Angie Stone collaboration on “Keep Your Worries” which has a funky “late night at the private club” groove coupled with a “keep my name out yo’ mouth” message. Half of most people’s problems would evaporate if they took this simple advice.

Hustlin’ Daze” is also a cool track, with a downtown New York horn flourish and some funky scratching. I wasn’t familiar with Donell Jones, but I like the way he adds a melodic touch to the chorus with his high and (dare I say) pretty vocals.

However, a lot of the other tracks while well produced and performed just didn’t grab me. They just felt like a lot of generic hip hop out there these days. The interesting way that Guru rapped over top of jazz arrangements on the first album are either missing, or buried so far down I can no longer pick them out.

The final song, “Timeless” elevates the record again. It features Herbie Hancockand listening to him noodle his keyboards around Guru’s melody is a joy to the ear, but it comes a little late to restore my faith in the record.

There is nothing wrong with “Streetsoul” – the music is good and the performances strong. They don’t speak to me sufficiently, however, and I think I’m going to bid a fond and generally favourable farewell to this album. It will no doubt make someone very happy.


Best tracks:   Keep Your Worries, Hustlin’ Daze, Timeless

No comments: