Wednesday, July 16, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 641: Gordon Lightfoot

Another Gordon Lightfoot album, just five after my last one! “Cold on the Shoulder” ended up being a pleasant surprise. This next album, not so much.

Disc 641 is….Summer Side of Life
Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Year of Release: 1971

What’s up with the Cover? Gord loves the Big Head Cover, and has done a few good ones along the way (check out “Old Dan’s Records” at Disc 458 and “Summertime Dream” at Disc 294 for a couple of examples). “Summer Side of Life” did not inspire me the same way. He looks earnest enough, but the whole thing has an “I just got out of prison” feel that doesn’t wear well on Gord.

How I Came To Know It: Once again this was just me drilling through Gord’s collection when I went on a bit of a Gord spree a few years ago. I knew this album when I was a kid as well, as my Mom had it on tape. I remember not liking it all that much – I should’ve thought of that before I bought it.

How It Stacks Up:  I have ten of Gordon Lightfoot’s studio albums. I had reserved spot #10 for a different record (not reviewed yet), but “Summer Side of Life” would not be denied; it is the worst.

Rating:  2 stars

Almost every Gordon Lightfoot album I have has one or two tracks that make it onto either of his two “Gord’s Gold” compilations, and “Summer Side of Life” is no exception. I should have recognized the warning signs when I didn’t even like one of them, but the completionist in me could not be denied.

“Summer Side of Life” sounds and feels like any other Gordon Lightfoot album, but there is just something missing. The easy picking style is a bit too easy. So much so it approaches lazy, but I’m not sure that better guitar work would save most of these songs.

The opening track, “10 Degrees & Getting Colder” provides a promising start, despite the unfortunate decision to use an ampersand in place of a word. A song about a cold man hitchhiking through Colorado, it paints an interesting scene that speaks of a larger story, but doesn’t quite tell it. Since the song is about a man on the side of the road that most people are hardly glancing at as they pass by, this makes sense.

Sadly the other efforts at social commentary on the record are forced and trite. “Redwood Hill” is an environmental song where a personified Mother Nature (yes, he goes there) sits on a hill and weeps for our future. It felt very forced.

Similarly, “Nous Vivons Ensemble” is a song about trying to understand one another, not like Rush’s “Entre Nous” but stripped of any emotional content. Halfway through Lightfoot switches to very awkward French. I love a good bilingual tune (Leonard Cohen’s “The Partisan” comes to mind) but if you can’t do it well, please refrain from doing it poorly.

Of the two hits, I do love “Summer Side of Life” which has a great guitar intro and an anthem-like quality to its story of love’s remembrance can sting us when all that remains is the memory of how fine it once was.

The other hit, “Cotton Jenny” is either about carefree love or heavy drinking – maybe both. Whichever it is, it comes off as trying too hard. You can’t force yourself to relax, Gord. When I want a song that makes me wonder if I’m putting a woman or a bottle to my lips, I’ll take Neil Diamond’s Cracklin’ Rosie over Gord’s Cotton Jenny every time.

And on it goes, with song after song just missing the mark. “Talking in Your Sleep” is the poor man’s “Worth Believin’” (off of “Old Dan’s Records) and “Same Old Loverman” has Gord trying to be a sixties crooner, but instead coming off as a bit of a creepy hippy. “Love & Maple Syrup” feels like a guy who is trying too hard to make it clear he’s Canadian – like a tourist festooning their backpack with too many flags. For a good Canadian anthem from Gord, go with “Hi’Way Songs.”

Of course, that’s on another album, just like most of his best work. Ordinarily I’d keep this album just for the two songs I like, but because I have “Gord’s Gold” as well, that reduces the damage to just “10 Degrees and Getting Colder” and harsh as it is, I can live without picking up that particular hitch hiker.

Best tracks:   10 Degrees and Getting Colder, Summer Side of Life

No comments: