Sunday, August 3, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 647: Indigo Girls

After consecutive weekends with no downtime, Sheila and I finally got a chance to just hang out at home last night and play our favourite game, Arkham Horror. One win and one most unfortunate loss resulted.

I also got a chance to finally listen to all the new music I’ve been buying. I liked all of it, although I may have overdosed Sheila on Guy Clark for the foreseeable future.

Anyhow, let’s get on with this whole music review thing I do.

Disc 647 is….Swamp Ophelia
Artist: Indigo Girls

Year of Release: 1994

What’s up with the Cover? Behold these Ladies of Distinction, resplendent in their nineties vests, as they recline in their sumptuous chamber of kitsch! This room looks like a cross between an antique furniture store and the seventies rumpus room my aunt and uncle used to have with that floor to ceiling tree-scene wallpaper.

In an attempt to make the cover even ‘artier’ the Girls have cut it up into pieces and then glued it back together, slightly off. The overall effect is akin to having to unexpectedly visit your Grandmother after dropping acid, which is to say, unpleasant.

How I Came To Know It: I was a fan of the Indigo Girls since their first album, and “Swamp Ophelia” was me buying their latest album the moment it came out.

How It Stacks Up:  I have six Indigo Girls albums. Sadly, I’ll have to put this one last. It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it just means the other five are better.

Rating:  3 stars

“Swamp Ophelia” was the first Indigo Girls album that was a bit of a disappointment. It isn’t bad, it is just that the four albums that preceded it were so strong that it couldn’t help but come up a bit short by comparison.

The main ingredients are all still there. We’ve got Amy Ray’s deeper rock-style voice complemented by fellow Girl Emily Saliers’ high folksy range. They are kind of the female Blue Rodeo this way, alternating taking the lead just as Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor, do, instinctively knowing how to best support each other’s style as they go.

“Swamp Ophelia” has a softness around the edges that has more in common with 1990’s “Nomads Indians Saints” than the previous album, 1992’s “Rites of Passage.” I prefer their “Rites of Passage” sound.

There’s still a lot to recommend “Swamp Ophelia” though. “Least Complicated” is a sing-a-long ‘lessons learned’ type song that is right in the Indigo Girls’ wheelhouse. I’ve listened to it lots of times and still don’t fully know what it’s about, though. I think it is the collapse of a relationship causing Emily to think back to the first love of her youth. Whatever the case, it reminds you that you can’t go back in life and even if you could, you wouldn’t know what the hell to do any better than you do now.

The upbeat and positive songs like “Power of Two” are a bit saccharine. I wish the Girls all the happiness in the real world but I like them best when they are feeling angsty and uncertain.

The Wood Song” is a standout about getting older and holding on through the good and the bad. My favourite line is:

“The thin horizon of a plan is almost clear
My friends and I have had a hard time
Bruising our brains, hard up against change
All the old dogs and the magician.”

Because magicians do tricks, and old dogs can’t learn them – get it? Get it? OK, it is a bit too clever, but I still like it. Also, the chorus has a nice message that reinforces the general theme of the record; that you gotta go through rough patches to make it all worth it:

“But the wood is tired and the wood is old
And we’ll make it fine if the weather holds
But if the weather holds we’ll have missed the point.”

Weirdly, because this song has a nautical theme, and is about aging and ultimately sailing off into the Great Beyond it had me thinking about Tennyson’s “Crossing the Bar” for the second straight review. (“Crossing the Bar” also ‘crossed’ my mind discussing Gram Parson’s “In My Hour of Darkness”).

That’s a lot of Tennyson on the brain, but Tennyson is pretty awesome, though. My university text of his poetry still has my graffiti on the cover where I wrote “The Master” and “the Demigod” with arrows pointing to Alfred’s portrait. I still love me some Tennyson, and if you have never sat down on a rainy evening and read “In Memoriam” from cover to cover without stopping, then you haven’t lived. But I digress…

Back to “The Wood Song” which in addition to being thoughtful and considered, has a clever arrangement, with a mournful violin leading off that makes you think of an old sea dog sitting on a barrel in the hold and sawing out a sea shanty. Likely an old sea shanty that he’s been playing for years because like I said earlier, old dogs…

Even though “Swamp Ophelia” isn’t the best Indigo Girls album, it still got me thinking, and listening to Amy and Emily play off each other’s voice and guitar so artfully is always worth the journey, at sea or otherwise.


Best tracks:   Fugitive, Least Complicated, Reunion, The Wood Song

No comments: