Tuesday, July 14, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 758: Sarah McLachlan

I’m feeling worn out, ground down and tired. I’m also feeling stubborn though and stubborn goes a long way with me. In this case, stubborn is giving me enough energy to power through fatigue and melancholy, write my next review and keep this odyssey going.

Sleep is for the dead, my friends.

Disc 758 is….Surfacing
Artist: Sarah McLachlan

Year of Release: 1997

What’s up with the Cover? Sarah sits in a chair, so deep in thought that she’s seemingly unaware that she’s totally using that chair backwards.

How I Came To Know It: This is McLachlan’s fourth studio album, so by the time it came out I was already a fan and just buying her albums as they came out.

How It Stacks Up: I know I just gave “FumblingTowards Ecstasy” the silver medal not 58 albums ago, but I recant! “Surfacing” is the second best Sarah McLachlan album in my collection, just short of “Solace.”

Ratings: 4 stars

Sometimes we begrudge our favourite artists getting famous, because it feels like we’re losing them to the masses. With “Surfacing” we should just feel proud that Canada’s hometown girl, Sarah McLachlan, was being introduced to the world on such good terms.

The album performed brilliantly all around the world, and along with the Lilith Fair tour, helped establish McLachlan as an international celebrity. As for me, I never made it to a single Lilith Fair (or even a Lollapalooza), despite plenty of good intentions on both counts. What I did was play the living crap out of “Surfacing” for years.

The album doesn’t have the raw edge of her previous two records, but that just makes all its deep emotion more surprising. The production is classic late nineties. The drum machines of the eighties had long been rejected, but we hadn’t reached back to the organic seventies just yet. The songs all have an artificial air. The guitar has to be distorted, the notes have to be drawn out and everything has to run into everything else.

All that ambient sound and fuzz could easily pull you out of the experience, but instead it draws you in, like a warm bath or a good book – or both, if you are one of those people who’s willing to risk getting your book wet.

It does occasionally overstep, such as the odd beeps at the beginning of “Sweet Surrender,” but that’s not one of the better songs anyway and besides, these errors are rare. For the most part the production matches beautifully with the songs.

The album opens with “Building a Mystery” which is a character study, or maybe a series of character studies. For me, it is about how we build our characters in the first place, revealing our natures in our own constructs. I love how Hallowe’en makes people behave more like their true selves by giving them the shelter of a costume. “Building a Mystery” reminds me that we do this every day, just with more subtle brush strokes.

When she does strip down the arrangement, McLachlan still sticks with lots of echo, as she does on the quiet and devoted “I Love You” and the more upbeat but regret-filled “Adia.” “Adia” is a beautiful song that shows off McLachlan’s songwriting, singing chops and also a light touch on the piano. My only complaint with “Adia” are the god-awful mule shoes McLachlan wore for the video. Late nineties fashion was not kind to the eye, and the shoes of the era were by far the worst offender.

But I digress…

McLachlan’s voice is so high and ethereal on the whole album that it can feel a bit otherworldly, but not in that creepy Thom Yorke kind of way. Instead, this is the ethereality of angels. McLachlan herself covers a lot of angel-themed ground, including on “Witness” and the appropriately titled “Angel” although in both cases these are songs about yearning for heaven and not reaching it. It’s the human frailty that leaves us burning inside, seeking the cold comfort in unhealthy places in the absence of something more perfect. The distance between that perfection and our idealized grace is where both art and tragedy dwells, and McLachlan nails it.

When I first got this record I played it so much that I overdid it, and as a result I haven’t put it on regularly in years. Hearing it again for the Odyssey reminded me that I will eventually come back to it in force, and moreover that I’ll find some comfort there when I do.


Best tracks: Building a Mystery, Adia, Do What You Have To Do, Witness, Angel

No comments: