Tuesday, September 22, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 784: Pat Benatar

This review was delayed a day as I caught a bad stomach bug over the weekend and spent most of yesterday evening and today in bed. I feel I’m on the road to recovery though, and that means the Odyssey must also move forward.

It has been almost exactly a year since I reviewed an album by this next artist (Sept. 22, 2014 to be exact) but it was good to be back.

Disc 784 is….Precious Time
Artist: Pat Benatar

Year of Release: 1981

What’s up with the Cover? This is what a manic pixie dream girl looks like when she has an edge. I noted in my last Pat Benatar review back at Disc 667 that at age nine I knew Pat Benatar was stirring something in me even if I wasn’t sure what it was. This cover just reinforced that feeling a bit stronger at age 11. Then I couldn’t tell you what it was but now I’m pretty sure it’s something in the eyes…and the shoes.

How I Came To Know It: I grew up with Pat Benatar (not literally obviously, and a good thing too, given what her mere picture did to me as a kid). My brother owned her first three records and years later I have the same three on CD.

How It Stacks Up: As just noted, I have three Pat Benatar CDs. Of the three, I rate “Precious Time” second best, a good distance behind “In the Heat of the Night” and a notch above “Crimes of Passion.”

Ratings: 3 stars

“Precious Time” starts with a bang, as “Promises in the Dark” blasts out, part power pop, part Meatloaf-inspired opera and all big vocals.

Pat Benatar songs aren’t that fascinating on their own, but they are beautifully produced by Benatar’s main squeeze and guitarist Neil Geraldo who knows exactly how to showcase Benatar’s voice.

Like a lot of the record’s tracks, “Fire and Ice” could be a pop song or smooth contemporary if they stripped out the power chords and slowed them down. However, when you have Pat Benatar, honour demands you let her blow the top of the music. That’s exactly what she does, hitting every note and filling the room with bombast without ever sounding shouty.

Those are the two big hits on the record, as far as I remember (I’ve known this entire album so long I have a hard time separating the hits from the deep cuts). The deep cuts have lots to offer as well.

 “Just Like Me” and “It’s a Tuff Life” have a slight New Wave sound, which works for “Just Like Me” but falls flat on the unfortunately spelled “It’s a Tuff Life.” New wave generally doesn’t suit Benatar’s seventies power vocals, but Geraldo’s guitar was built for it and on these songs he holds things together. You can see on this album he is trying to do something a little different, with mixed results.

When I was a kid one of my favourite deep cuts was “Evil Genius” which is a song about a super smart kid who grows up to become…a murderer! When I was a kid I thought the narrative of this song was the height of cool:

“They were so ecstatic when the letter arrived
A certified genius at the age of five
They planned his future so carefully
He was everything they hoped he'd be”

Now when I hear this stuff I wonder who the hell sends a letter certifying someone’s five year old as a genius? I’ve been through the whole ‘treat the gifted kids differently’ carousel and never once did my Mom receive a formal letter. If she had, I’m sure she would have framed it. Or maybe I didn’t get it because only the really smart kids got the letter. That seems more likely. But then I would’ve turned out a murderer, according to the logic of the song, so it’s just as well no letter arrived. But I digress…

The important thing is that when Benatar hits the high notes in the chorus singing “why’d you have to do it, evil genius?” (hint: because his Mom framed the letter) the vocal is so sublime it doesn’t matter that the song’s entire plot is spotty.

Most of this record is merely OK, but even the weaker tracks are buoyed by Benatar’s vocal, making them a fun listen as well.

Because of this record I thought that Pat Benatar was the first person to ever record “Helter Skelter” (we didn’t go in for the Fab Four in my house growing up). When I finally heard the original I remember thinking how I preferred the Pat Benatar version. Musically heretical, I realize, but true. Later I would learn to love the Beatles version as well. While reviewing this album, I decided to give them both a listen back to back and… I once again have to go with Pat Benatar. Some heresies just never die.

My love for this album never dies either. I don’t have the youthful enthusiasm for it like I did when I was 11, but the good stuff has held up well over time, and the bad stuff is less bad and more just run-of-the-mill.


Best tracks:   Promises in the Dark, Fire and Ice, Just Like Me, Evil Genius, Helter Skelter

No comments: