Sunday, October 4, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 788: The Kills

I was up early this morning to watch my beloved Miami Dolphins get pummeled by the Jets. We are a bad football team right now, and even worse, I’m not sure much can be done to fix it. It is going to be a long and painful season.

Fortunately, there is always music. Lately I’ve been grooving on a lot of early Motorhead, Warren Zevon’s “Excitable Boy” and new albums from Kurt Vile and the Dead Weather.

The Dead Weather have a connection to this next review, since the two bands share the same lead singer.

Disc 788 is….Blood Pressures
Artist: The Kills

Year of Release: 2011

What’s up with the Cover? All dressed up with somewhere to go. If you look out the window that somewhere appears to involve a beach.

How I Came To Know It: I worked my way backward to the Kills. Our friends Joel and Sherylyn put me on to the Dead Weather (by way of Jack White), and as alluded to in the teaser, Alison Mosshart is the lead singer of both that band and the Kills. “Blood Pressures” was the first Kills album I bought, and happened to be their most recent.

How It Stacks Up: I have four Kills albums which is all of them. Hey, Kills, time for a new album (word has it they are working on one). For now, though, of the four that exist, I’ll put “Blood Pressures” a close second. Only “Keep On Your Mean Side” (reviewed way back at Disc 324) is better. Back then I said “Blood Pressures” was tied for first, but I recant.

Ratings: 4 stars

The Kills were a revelation when I discovered them. Heavy and groovy in equal measure, their fourth album “Blood Pressures” is a master class in how to make awesome hard rock for the twenty first century.

The band is fundamentally just two people – lead singer/guitarist Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince, who plays drums and everything else. Apparently there is no bass player, which is surprising given how thick this sound is. You can thank (or curse) the White Stripes for showing how you can make thick, crunchy grooves without a bass. The Kills do it brilliantly.

“Blood Pressures” is first and foremost percussion driven. Sure there are good guitar grooves and Alison Mosshart’s voice is angst-ridden and awesome but these songs are really about the rhythm and the beat. It isn’t just the drum, either. The layered guitar riffs are equally responsible for creating the ever-present thump. The result is a band that on each song finds new and innovative ways to create old fashioned rock and roll with a twist.

The layering is clever and the various sounds they pull together would sound weird on their own, but combined make for a great sound. On “Heart is a Beating Drum” it sounds like they sample the sound of a ping pong table. I found myself liking it.

Mosshart has one of rock and roll’s great voices. She has great timing and instinctively knows how to find the groove. Despite the great timing, her vocals are raw and dirty, with a bluesy growl that makes you feel like you need a shower after listening.

Great tracks abound, but I tend to like the more up tempo ones. The album starts with “Future Starts Slow” which is typical in terms of what the album offers lyrically:

“You can holler, you can wail
You can swing, you can flail
You can thump like a broken sail.”

These songs aren’t narratives, they are emotional moments caught in time, with sparse but well-chosen imagery like the thumping sail above.

Another favourite is “Nail in My Coffin” which perfectly captures that moment where Mosshart gives a man the classic “I’m no good” warning, and maybe accuses him of the same.

“I am no better at this than you are
Unfinished business may be due love.
I can’t change myself into you dear
What you are to me is far too unclear

“Could be a nail in my coffin
And I don’t need another one.”

This is a warning – the character is damaged goods, so pursue that tangled emotional mess at your peril. At the same time, it is clear Mosshart is inviting the very disaster she purports to swear off. The tension of that space between is held up by the song, which has a groove that is seductive on the surface, and dissonant in its depths.

The production on the record is thick but a bit overly fuzzy in places where I wanted it to be crisp. I can’t decide if I liked it or I didn’t like it so I’ll split the difference and say I kinda liked it but it is never so overt that it wrecks the experience.

When I first bought this album back in 2011 it got seriously over-listened, and so I’ve tried to give myself time away lately so I can rehabilitate it. It was great to roll it on the Odyssey and remind myself there is no reason to stay away.


Best tracks:  Future Starts Slow, Heart is a Beating Drum, Nail in My Coffin, DNA, Baby Says

No comments: