Tuesday, May 10, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 865: Cake

Another good day at work followed by a little socializing at the end of the day has left me feeling in a mellow mood.

Disc 865 is….B-Sides and Rarities
Artist: Cake

Year of Release: 2007

What’s up with the Cover? I usually enjoy Cake’s simple yet evocative album covers and this is no exception. Nice touch to have the drawing of the car upside down to represent the “b-side’ of the album.

How I Came To Know It: I was already an avowed Cake fan when this album was released, so this was just me buying their latest record on spec.

How It Stacks Up:  I have seven Cake albums, which is all of them. Of those seven “B-Sides and Rarities” is more a collection of odds and ends than a studio album, but it is close enough for me to rank it. Sadly, it falls into seventh – or last – place. It is still enjoyable, but not as good as the rest of the Cake anthology.

Ratings: 3 stars

Cake has a style that is unlike any other band I’ve heard, which makes hearing their take on songs made famous by other artists that much more interesting. Cake takes each song and reinterprets it, creating a conversation between them and the original track in the process.

The album begins with Black Sabbath’s classic “War Pigs.” I have three other versions of this song including: the original, a live version with Dio as the lead singer and a cover by Faith No More. I like all the versions, demonstrating that a great song shines through no matter what. Cake brings their amazing indie funk timing to the equation. I’m not sure there is a rock band which keeps better time than Cake, and a groove-driven song like “War Pigs” just serves as a showcase for their talents.

The hits keep coming with a cover of “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town” which was made famous by Kenny Rogers some 35 years earlier. Cake takes a country song full of heartache, speeds it up and infuses it with a desperate energy that showcases the tragic lyrics in a new and yet entirely recognizable way. All cover songs wish they could be this perfect combination of deferential and clever.

Cake’s strong work continues on the rest of the album, but unfortunately the remaining songs didn’t hold my attention the same. “Mahna Mahna” is as brilliant as anything I remember from the Muppet Show (and that was good). “Excuse Me, I Think I Have a Heartache” is a nice blend of honky tonk hurt and Cake’s big-band flavoured rockabilly approach to the song. I have nothing to complain about on either song except that neither track has ever interested me overmuch. It isn’t Cake’s delivery here, so much as their choice of source material.

And this is true for most of the rest of the record, where they take on old standards from the sixties and seventies, infusing them with plenty of their unique energy, but never getting me past the fact that the songs don’t grab me.

One of the most interesting tracks is “Conroy” a Cake-composed instrumental track that walks the edge of rock and electronica. It isn’t a style I would usually enjoy but here I welcomed it, maybe the more so because it is nestled between tracks that feel dated despite Cake’s solid efforts to modernize them.

The album also has a bit of what I would call filler in the form of a live version of “Short Skirt, Long Jacket” and “It’s Coming Down” neither one of which is as good as the studio version appearing on earlier albums. The final song is another live track, this time “War Pigs.” Not only had I heard their superior studio version, it is the opening track on the same album. It just felt repetitive at that point. The album would have been better as a 6 track EP than an 11 track LP with throwaway live versions.

Despite this, the strength of “War Pigs” (studio version) and “Ruby…” made everything worth it. Even the songs that I didn’t like as much became better due to Cake’s talent, elevating this record just north of 3 stars on skill and musicianship alone.

Best tracks:  War Pigs, Ruby Don’t Take Your Love To Town, Conroy, Thrills

No comments: