Monday, October 3, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 920: Molly Hatchet

Will this CD Odyssey ever end? Not if I keep buying music, I suppose, and this weekend I bought five more albums.

They were (in no particular order): Kishi Bashi’s “Sonderlust”, Angel Olsen’s “My Woman”, the Drive-By Truckers’ “Decoration Day”, Daniel Romano’s “Mosey” and Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Goin’ On.” The two early winners out of that collection were Kishi Bashi and Drive-By Truckers, but that’s all I’ll say for now – I’ll say more when I roll ‘em.

Disc 920 is….Flirtin’ With Disaster
Artist: Molly Hatchet

Year of Release: 1979

What’s up with the Cover? Frank frickin’ Frazetta, that’s what. The fantasy world’s undisputed art godfather did a bunch of album covers for Molly Hatchet and this is one of the best. This cover has everything the 12 year old boy in me could ever want: skeletons, snakes and a badass Viking warrior with an axe dripping blood. Even the ubiquitous Molly Hatchet banner looks cool.

How I Came To Know It: I grew up with this record (my brother had a few Molly Hatchet records). He liked Molly Hatchet well enough, but I strongly suspect he was influenced to buy this album for the cover art – and who could blame him? I got the CD version as part of a set containing Molly Hatchet’s first five albums about a year ago.

How It Stacks Up:  I have five Molly Hatchet albums. “Flirtin’ With Disaster” was the band’s biggest seller, but for me it only ranks third.

Ratings: 3 stars

Sometimes an artist can find their sound a bit too perfectly, and that’s the case with Molly Hatchet’s second album, “Flirtin’ With Disaster”.

On their debut record, the band showed their boogie woogie and blues-rock roots with something that fell somewhere between Little Feat and Allman Brothers. On the album that would follow (1980’s “Beatin’ the Odds”) they are a bit harder, as they begin to sidle up to early eighties metal.

But in 1979 Molly Hatchet was content to just lay down a straightforward riff and groove away. No complicated guitar solos. No fantastical topics (well a bit of western outlaw track with “Gunsmoke” but that’s about it). This is just southern rock, blasted out with gusto and damn any frills that might distract you from the core of the song.

With that disclaimer in mind, the songs on “Flirtin’ With Disaster” are solid and played with energy, and probably exactly what you’d want to hear in some rough-as-hell small town bar where the band is protected by a chicken-wire cage, a la the Blues Brothers.

When they hit the sweet spot within the sweet spot, as they do on side one tracks two and three with “It’s All Over Now” and “One Man’s Pleasure” it is a toe-tapping good time. When they go on a bit too long (as they do on the six minute “Boogie No More”) the limitations of the songs become apparent.

On the title track it feels like they are trying to write a hit, but the effort seems to suck out the grit established on the album’s more organic deep cuts. In fairness, the live version of the same song later on the record (my CD has four bonus tracks including live material) works a lot better.

In fact, when they play live it made me wish I’d seen them in some dive bar during their prime. I think it would have been one hell of a show, replete with fistfights, cheap bourbon and broken glass. Actually, probably just as well that I missed it; I only like a third of those things. I’m looking at you, Jim Beam. But I digress…

The album is a bit of a reverse bell curve, with two of the first three songs being strong and two of the last three (“Gunsmoke” and “Long Time”) bringing the level up again after a lot of uninspiring filler through the middle of the lineup. Despite this, the opening track “Whiskey Man” and the closer “Let The Good Times Roll” are mirror images of the same boring song, chugging along in a workmanlike but uninspiring way.

I can’t fault Molly Hatchet for doing what they do, and their fans were happy with it for sure. “Flirtin’ With Disaster” was their biggest selling album ever, going triple platinum and achieving the lofty heights of #19 on the charts.

But if I am being honest, I like them when they are either just a bit more raw, or a bit more heavy. The album that precedes this one marries the sixties into the seventies with electric boogie woogie, and the one that follows has an edge of metal that makes them a bit of a trendsetter. “Flirtin’ With Disaster” is still Molly Hatchet in their prime, and has its moments, but if it had taken more risks I would have liked it even better.


Best tracks: It’s All Over Now, One Man’s Pleasure, Gunsmoke, Long Time

No comments: