Tuesday, October 4, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 921: Shawn Colvin and Steve Earle

Sheila was out for dinner tonight and I had to fend for myself. I’m not much of a cook and I could’ve had soup or canned ravioli but I gave in to temptation on the walk home and stopped for pizza instead. I regret nothing.

Disc 921 is….Colvin & Earle
Artist: Shawn Colvin and Steve Earle

Year of Release: 2016

What’s up with the Cover? Shawn Colvin and Steve Earle take a walk together. This is the most dressed up I’ve seen Steve Earle in a decade. Shawn must’ve called and reminded him it was picture day.

How I Came To Know It: I didn’t even know this album had happened until I saw it on the new arrivals shelf at a local music store. Steve Earle has rarely steered me wrong, so although I knew Shawn Colvin only in passing I decided to give it a shot.

How It Stacks Up:  I have no Shawn Colvin albums but many by Steve Earle. None of that is relevant here, as this is a one-off duet record, and so stands alone.

Ratings: 2 stars

As I noted earlier Steve Earle has rarely steered me wrong, but on “Colvin & Earle” I certainly didn’t feel steered right. This album isn’t bad, but I spent most of my multiple listens wishing it was better.

The record is a blend of Colvin and Earle’s respective folk styles, and they sing harmony on almost all of the tracks. The harmonies were so loose I found them discordant and distracting, however. It was so distracting I took to the internet to find out what those kind of harmonies are called so I could avoid them in future.

Apparently it is called “cross harmony” and the discordance is intentional. In an interview for the Guardian, Earle is quite proud of the fact that they happen “naturally” when he sings with Colvin. That may be so, but it wasn’t for me. If that means I’ve got an unrefined ear, so be it, but I like my harmonies to get along better. By the way, I’d link to the Guardian article but the writer claims the album has only two cover tracks on it and there are four. That’s just something you’ve gotta fact check, people. But I digress…

The tracks that are written by Colvin or Earle (or both) didn’t have the emotional oomph that I expect, at least from my experience with Earle’s songwriting. Also, while I could tell they were trying to do the album in a very traditional style the result was that a lot of the tracks feel stale. “Tell Moses” is full of religious metaphor but I couldn’t tell if they were paying homage or just trying the style on for size. The musical exercise didn’t translate to the album and made the whole song feel disingenuous.

As folk albums often do, the record has four covers (five if you count the Beatles song in the bonus tracks). Two of these (John Loudermilk’s blues-rock classic “Tobacco Road” and the sublime “Ruby Tuesday” by the Rolling Stones) had me wishing I could hear the originals instead. Colvin & Earle don’t do a bad version of either, but in converting them to a more traditional style the energy of the original didn’t translate. At least “Tobacco Road” has a more traditional tight harmony which was a welcome break from the “cross harmony” everywhere else.

The other two covers are very good, and are standouts on the album. Emmylou Harris’ “Raise the Dead” is excellent. When I first heard it I thought “this would sound great sung by Emmylou Harris!” which is how I found out it was her song. It is from a 1999 duet album with Linda Ronstadt called “Western Wall” which I am now looking for.

You Were On My Mind” is a very pretty cover of an Ian and Sylvia Tyson song. Not only are Colvin & Earle up to the task, I think they give this song even more emotional impact than even the legendary Tysons managed. Kudos!

One original song really stood out as well. “The Way That We Do” has strong songwriting and it helps that Earle and Colvin take turns on the verses rather than trying to sing harmony at first. This strangely helps the discordant harmonies work better later on when they are introduced halfway through.

There are some pretty tracks on this album for sure, and it gets better as it goes along but not enough of it resonated with me, or it resonated in a way that didn’t feel comfortable. Despite this record being new to my collection, I must reluctantly bid it an early adieu and send it to a home where it will be better appreciated.


Best tracks: The Way That We Do, You Were On My Mind, Raise the Dead, That Don’t Worry Me Now

No comments: