Monday, December 26, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 951: Duran Duran

Happy holidays! Best present of the year: the Miami Dolphins are back in the NFL post-season and we got there in part while eliminating the hated Buffalo Bills. Huzzah!

Speaking of blind hate, when I rolled this next album I couldn’t help but let out a sigh of disappointment. Sheila (who likes it) sharply reminded me that this odyssey is about keeping an open mind to every album.

That’s true, and I do my best, but my dislike of this next band goes well beyond any logical reasoning. It just…is. With that in mind, here’s my best effort.

Disc 951 is….Rio
Artist: Duran Duran

Year of Release: 1982

What’s up with the Cover? Patrick Nagel art was as synonymous with early eighties pop culture as…well, as Duran Duran. I kind of like this cover although if a girl’s skin is as white as her teeth, you should check for bite marks on your neck after every date.

How I Came To Know It: I knew this album in the eighties when it came out, but chiefly through the practice of actively avoiding it. It came into our collection earlier this year when Sheila decided to break the Duran Duran embargo and buy it.

How It Stacks Up:  This is the only Duran Duran album we currently have [knocks on wood] so it can’t really stack up.

Ratings: 1 star – see below for special calculation procedures for Duran Duran albums

Since my early teens I have hated Duran Duran, both for their music and for the way they took over the consciousness of my junior high in the early eighties. At every high school dance, on every music video channel and on the radio of every other car that passed this band’s blend of borderline New Wave and pop pablum would assault your ears. For a budding young metal head like myself, outside of Much Music’s Power Hour, there was no escape.

Long time readers will remember that I was pretty narrow minded back then when it came to music. I’ve since happily come to my senses over amazing eighties bands like the Police, U2 and the Clash, all of whom I initially dismissed when I was a teenager. Duran Duran is not so lucky.

The album’s first song is the poster child for what is wrong with this record. “Rio” was a massive hit which had all the girls gabbing about how dreamy Simon Le Bon and Andy Taylor were, and all the boys trying to copy their look. Or maybe it was Roger Taylor or John Taylor; I don’t remember and there’s too many guys named Taylor in this band to keep it all straight. Even I would watch the video when it came on (it featured a beautiful woman in a bikini and body paint, after all).

Rio” has a passable keyboard hook and a solid chorus and could have been an average song, despite all the bangs, bells and whistles that are thrown in an attempt to ruin it. But then at the three minute mark we are subjected to a drawn out and pointless saxophone solo. This may be the worst sax solo ever, a wound to this song so infected that nothing could save it. The solo eventually ends, draining (like a flushed toilet) into a synthesizer doing an impression of a xylophone. We never learn why.

This was my reaction to most of the songs on this record, which load a ton of disparate bells, bangs and whistles into a cacophonous hodge-podge. It is about as tempting as a frittata comprised of ingredients from the three preceding days of leftovers because that’s what happens to be in the fridge.

And this is a damn shame, because the bass and drums (played by a couple guys named Taylor) are actually pretty solid, particularly John’s bass playing, which gives the songs a nice and vaguely funky foundation at the ground floor. The fact that the band decides to build a ziggurat made out of shit isn’t entirely his fault.

So what about my promise to Sheila to have an open mind? Weren’t there any songs I liked? Yes, to my horror there were three. “Lonely in Your Nightmare” has a cool sound that reminded me of the Smiths or the Cure, and while there is a bit too much futzing around with the drum sounds, the melody still shines through. “Hungry Like the Wolf” is also a good song, with one of the better doo-da-doo-doo-da-doos in music. That annoying pseudo-xylophone is in the background throughout, but it doesn’t quite wreck what is a good track.

The album ends with “The Chauffeur” which I also enjoyed, a steamy song full of sexual tension that reminded me favourably of Depeche Mode, despite Simon Le Bon’s one-note vocals. In fact, when Duran Duran are at their best they sound a lot like an inferior version of Depeche Mode. At their worst they just sound like…Duran Duran.

Even the songs that I liked tend to go on too long, and the whole album (which is 43 minutes long despite having just nine songs) tends to drag. Or maybe it is just that I don’t like most of the songs and just want them to end soon after they begin. Maybe the songs are longer because they are meant as dance songs, but I found this shit impossible to dance to in high school and nothing over the years has changed my mind.

Everyone has that one band they hate, and Duran Duran is mine. If I was being fair, I’d acknowledge this record has enough going for it that it warrants a two star rating, but I’m not going to be fair. Would I congratulate the Buffalo Bills on a good effort on Saturday as my Miami Dolphins ended their season? No I wouldn’t.  Would I applaud the Montreal Canadiens for winning a game? Again, no.

Besides, I always give vampire moves an extra star for no reason (it’s how the Twilight movies earned their single star). I also grade up every movie that includes Ron Pearlman by a star because…Ron Pearlman! The universe demands balance. I will provide that balance by arbitrarily giving any Duran Duran record -1 star for equally baseless reasons.  


Best tracks: Lonely In Your Nightmare, Hungry Like the Wolf, The Chauffeur

No comments: