Tuesday, January 24, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 961: Conor Oberst

Because of my ongoing backlog of new music, I’ve taken to randomly selecting every other album from my “new” (to me) music section. This is about 100 albums that I haven’t given a solid three or more listens to because I keep buying more music sitting sadly lined up along the top of one of the stacks. Alternating between those and the main stacks ensures I’m getting a good mix of newly purchased music and old favourites as I cruise through the Odyssey.

This next album is so new to me I only bought it two weeks ago.

Disc 961 is….Upside Down Mountain
Artist: Conor Oberst

Year of Release: 2014

What’s up with the Cover? I thought an upside down mountain might be a hole. Sheila suggested an iceberg, which I thought pretty clever. Based on the animal paintings, Conor Oberst has gone with a cave.

How I Came To Know It: I was checking out Oberst’s 2016 release “Ruminations” and it made me interested in his back catalogue. This was the album immediately preceding “Ruminations” and the best of what I’ve discovered so far.

How It Stacks Up:  Based on a lot of his other albums I checked out on Youtube, I think “Upside Down Mountain” is one of his best, but for now it is the only album I have and so can’t stack up.

Ratings: 4 stars but almost 5

Conor Oberst is one of those artists that when I finally heard him – not heard of him mind you, but finally listened to him – I wondered how I’d never noticed him before. I’d had plenty of opportunities (one of my old coworkers must’ve sent me one of his songs a half dozen times). I guess that like so many things that are truly beautiful I had to let it come to me at a time when my spirit was quiet enough to properly listen.

This is not to say I like everything Oberst has ever done. The man has ten solo albums and another nine as the principal force behind the band Bright Eyes. That’s 19 albums stretching back almost twenty-five years. I haven’t even begun to explore, although I’ve started with the most recent and am working my way back.

I’m early in that journey and I don’t love everything I’ve heard. I haven’t encountered any clunkers yet, but there are times when Oberst can cross into a saccharine pop where I can’t follow him, even if I can admire what he’s about.

Not so with 2014’s “Upside Down Mountain”. I loved this record from the first time I heard it only a few weeks ago and since then have been reveling in its brilliance. It makes me excited about the journey backward into Oberst’s catalogue.

It has also made it clear that I should be cautious on my journey, and go wisely and slow. Oberst is a true 21st century poet, and like other greats like Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen his songs are full of dense language and powerful imagery that are best absorbed over a long time and many listens.

Musically, “Upside Down Mountain” is a mix of gentle folk-styled guitar strumming and plucking that gives the album a restful almost new age feel, supported by a backdrop of horn, string and syncopated drum beats that would be equally at home on a jazz record, held tastefully in the back of the mix so as not to disturb the star of the show. The whole package is then dressed up in some up-tempo and very catchy pop sensibilities; the sugary coating that helps all that deep thought go down easier.

The star is Oberst himself. Not so much his vocal prowess, which while it’s a step up from Dylan or Cohen isn’t going to blow you away. Oberst sings prettily enough, but it is his songwriting skills that carry this record.

The musicality on this record is brilliant, with each turn of the melody a perfect match to the story Oberst is telling at the time. Those stories are so personal you’re sure some are pulled from your own life but so universal they leave you feeling comforted that you’re not alone.

“Upside Down Mountain” has songs about getting away from it all, getting back to it all, feeling like you can’t go on and exhortations to do exactly that. Every subject is drenched in evocative language that makes your mind float along on imagery that is often less about a linear narrative as it is about a journey toward spiritual resolution. It would feel like stream of consciousness if the care Oberst puts into the selection of each word weren’t so obvious. Oberst admits to as much in the opening lines of “Zigzagging Toward the Light”:

“I’m blessed with a heart that doesn’t stop
My mind is a weather vane, it spins just like a top
Knows what the winds of fortune bring in the season of the witch
Home is a perjury, a parlor trick, an urban myth.”

Later in the same song he paints love as elusive and beautiful and dangerous:

“True love it hides like city stars
Nothing to gaze upon or contemplate how near or far
If it comes it comes quite unannounced a momentary glance
Lit up by sun or moon or bonfire or ambulance”

If you’re like me and you grew up in a place with no city lights and a field of stars every night, and then moved to the city and marveled at how rare you see only a few, these lines resonate deeply. Getting burned by love a few times helps too.

This is only one example, and the album is packed with songs that reveal Oberst’s own insecurities and let you wallow a little in your own along the way. If he makes you feel a little maudlin from time to time don’t take it to heart, because mostly this record leaves you feeling inspired. It makes you feel like you’re going to make it and maybe this whole crazy human race will as well. There aren’t easy answers, but this record possesses a thread of optimism that is undeniable. As Oberst says:

“There are hundreds of ways
To get through the day
Now you just find one.”

It doesn’t matter which, because one is all you need. Tomorrow’s can even be different if you like.

If I had been able to hear this album when I was 19 it would probably have been a desert island album (it even has a song called “Desert Island Questionnaire”) but whether this record lands at five stars or falls just short is immaterial. There’s always room in my collection for more music, especially when it is this good.


Best tracks: Time Forgot, Zigzagging Toward the Light, Hundreds of Ways, Lonely at the Top, Enola Gay, Double Life, Night at Lake Unknown, Desert island Questionnaire

No comments: