Friday, April 14, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 994: Mary Chapin Carpenter

Greetings, gentle readers! The long weekend has finally come and it is most welcome indeed. I am feeling a little worn out and a few days off is just the thing I need. Let’s start it off with a music review!

Disc 994 is…The Calling
Artist: Mary Chapin Carpenter

Year of Release: 2007

What’s up with the Cover? Mary Chapin Carpenter, looking contemplative. For some reason this pose reminds of a knight standing at ease, his sword resting easy. Carpenter’s sword is a guitar, of course.

How I Came To Know It: I told the story back at Disc 946 of how I first was introduced to Carpenter, so you can read that tragic tale of unrequited love there. “The Calling” it was a trio of later albums I bought while exploring her more recent work.

How It Stacks Up:  Of my eight Mary Chapin Carpenter albums, “The Calling” falls last. However there is no shame in that; Carpenter has 14 studio albums, so “The Calling” is ahead of six others I decided not to buy at all.

Ratings: 2 stars

I’m generally a glass half full kind of guy. I say this so that you’ll know I feel conflicted when I say that “The Calling” is just a bit too upbeat and positive. There isn’t enough of that in the world, but here all the love, understanding and grace comes off a bit boring.

“The Calling” feels a little bit like that advice you get from that sweet old lady on your block when you’re a kid. The one with all the trite sayings like “things will all work out if you let them” and “everything happens for a reason,” usually delivered as she bent over you with her hands primly on the tops of her knees. That lady is nice enough, but even as a kid I knew that shit was some bad advice.

Songs like “Twilight” are supposed to be pastorals about the beauty of certain times of the day, but for me it felt like that aforementioned lady talking blandly about the weather (the favourite topic of people like that, when not giving unhelpful advice).

It doesn’t help that “The Calling” takes a lot of what makes Carpenter’s music so wonderful -  lilting, subtle melodies that grow gently into wistful stories about overcoming adversity – and strip out the hard edges that make those stories compelling.

The production, lush with guitar and piano is muted and soft, like the songs themselves seeming unwilling to offend. They aren’t afraid, they’re just content to deliver their messages in a nice easy flow. I wanted the waters to have a little more chop, to remind me I was on a journey. There are still songs about heartache and loss. “Closer and Closer Apart” is about an approaching breakup and “It Must Have Happened” hints at tough times in the narrator’s past. However, they didn’t pluck my heartstrings like they should have.

Despite this, Carpenter’s low, rich vocal performance is beautiful, and I found that I enjoyed hearing her sing even when the songs weren’t inspiring me. And I like that an artist can feel inspired about the human spirit overcoming and looking to the horizon with a healthy and hopeful attitude. I just wanted the obstacles to be better defined, so I’d enjoy Carpenter maneuvering her way around them more.

So I’ll be selling this record, right? Wrong. Because there are a couple song that when I heard it I knew I had to have it.

On With the Song” takes all that positive energy and focuses it like a knife on all the haters and prejudiced jerks that wrap themselves in the flag and smugly think they are the better for it. Carpenter calls out all those country music artists that take that jingoism and make commercially successful songs that feed those prejudices:

“This isn’t for the ones who blindly follow
Jingoistic bumper stickers telling you
To love it or leave it, and you’d better love Jesus
And get out of the way of the red, white and blue.”

Take that, Toby Keith. This song reminded me of John Prine singing “Your flag decal won’t get you into heaven anymore” but lest you think Carpenter is singling out America or Christians, she’s not. As anyone knows, America and Christianity are both full of wonderful, caring people. Carpenter’s target is intolerance.

She also acknowledges that haters are gonna hate and maybe even profit it from it, but that she won’t sit quietly while it happens. She ends the song with:

“This isn’t for you and you know who you are
So do what you want ‘cuz I know that you can
But I’ve got to be true to myself and to you
So on with the song, I don’t give a damn.”

By the end of the record, Carpenter starts to give a more compelling voice to her optimism. On “Why Shouldn’t We” she invokes the names of God, Buddha and Allah as inspiration that the world can be better place. As she notes:

“We believe in things
We’re told that we cannot change
Why shouldn’t we
We had heroes once, and we will again
Why shouldn’t we.”

Why Shouldn’t We” is full of inspirational piano licks that made my heart swell with hope that humanity is going to be alright after all. By the end of this record, Carpenter’s optimism wore me down and gave me a little appreciation for all that schmaltz at the beginning. Or put another way, that friendly lady down the street when you were a kid probably had her fair share of heartache too. But she put that aside so she could deliver a little comfort to some neighbourhood kids. And why shouldn’t she?

So while this album misses the mark a lot, it did enough to convince me to keep it. My cup doesn’t runneth over, but it’s half full.


Best tracks: The Calling, On With the Song, Why Shouldn’t We

No comments: