Friday, October 14, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 924: Rush

For many months I’ve been having a hard time reading the fine print on the back of CD cases (usually I’m looking for the release date). I attributed the problem to poor light or that I needed to clean my glasses. Turns out is just that my eyesight has gotten worse. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

Now that I know, everything looks fuzzy and I’m waiting impatiently for my new lenses to come in.

Disc 924 is….Power Windows
Artist: Rush

Year of Release: 1985

What’s up with the Cover? A teenage David Bowie dreams of becoming a starman. Actually it is some kid named Neill Cunningham. Maybe he was dreaming of being David Bowie? Maybe he was just dreaming that he could get a new television. He’s got three there and they all look pretty outdated.

How I Came To Know It: This was just me filling out the last of my Rush collection as I drilled through their discography. I admit I totally missed this album when it came out in 1985, despite being totally into hard rock at the time.

How It Stacks Up:  I have 19 Rush albums. “Power Windows” isn’t my favourite. I’ll put it #18.

Ratings: 3 stars

“Power Windows” is right in the heart of the synth-storm that Rush experimented with through the 1980s. Don’t expect Alex Lifeson to wail out a bunch of guitar solos, and if you’re searching for the melody then you best be looking to Geddy Lee’s keyboards. This is not your older brother’s copy of “Moving Pictures.”

Some Rush fans reject this period of the band’s development, while others love all things Rush. I’m somewhere in the middle on that subject. “Hold Your Fire” is one of my favourite Rush albums, whereas “Grace Under Pressure” and “Signals” are OK, but I feel like the production lets them down.

“Power Windows” is my least favourite of the four. I don’t hate it, but it is lacking the melodic brilliance of “Hold Your Fire” and the songwriting strength of “Signals”. It is about on par with “Grace Under Pressure.” It doesn’t have the brilliance of “Red Sector A” but overall the quality of the songs is higher.

One nice side benefit of not being so guitar-driven is that you get to appreciate the Geddy Lee’s bass playing. On the opening track, “Big Money,” he is in fine form, flowing through series after series of groovy and difficult bass riffs, all the while faithfully serving the rhythm of the song. Beyond Geddy’s bass, though, I don’t love the song. The lyrics are a bit hokey and the bridge is this weird combination of bells, beeps and a bit of Lifeson guitar that is good but seems to hang in digital space due to the production.

Middletown Dreams” feels a lot like Signals’ “Subdivisions” in terms of theme, but is not executed as well. It is almost the sequel, replacing the restless youth of teenage dreams in “Subdivisions” with the more seasoned understanding of characters in their twenties and thirties. These are the kids who never got out of the suburbs but are finding ways to reconcile that within themselves. Again, an interesting theme (one Springsteen explores often as well) but in terms of execution the song is just a bit too jazzy in places for my tastes.

The record came out in the middle of the Cold War, and this is evident in songs like “Manhattan Project” and “Territories”. “Manhattan Project” tells the story of the first atomic bomb and while the subject matter is about the bomb’s development and the bombing of Hiroshima it is clear that the song is viewing that event from 1985 and everything that had resulted from a nuclear age. “Manhattan Project” is one of my favourite songs on the album. The lyrics aren’t overwrought, and the music walks the perfect line between the excitement of scientists in the throes of discovery and the ominous nature of what they were about to create.

Another favourite is “Marathon” which is about running a marathon, but also a lot more. On “Marathon” Rush perfects the use of their new keyboard-driven sound to capture the drawn out endurance of the race but also the triumph and exultation of completing the race. And here, when Lifeson’s guitar solo enters, it nestles in nicely and feels like it belongs.  The ‘more’ of “Marathon” is its reminder that life itself is a long race, and you’ll be just fine if you just keep at it. It is an overused metaphor, but the boys do a fine job of recycling it, and I feel genuinely inspired each time I hear this track.

As an aside, this song pairs nicely with Iron Maiden’s “Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner” as rock songs about marathons. Maybe throw in the Popes’ “Loneliness of the Long Distance Drinker” for a lark at the end to represent the trip to the pub at the end of the race. But I digress…

The album ends with “Emotion Detector” and “Mystic Rhythms” which are both songs that are as awkward and overwrought as their titles would indicate. These songs are swamped by the new production values. “Emotion Detector” is the worst of the two, which has a tune that sounds like it belongs in an early eighties movie soundtrack: something about bike couriers or moving to a city. “Mystic Rhythms” would actually function better as a New Age Celtic folk song. As a rock song, the mystic rhythms just didn’t resonate.

“Power Windows” doesn’t have enough high points to work its way into my regular music rotation. I don’t hate the record though, and the musical genius of Rush is still shining through in places. I’ll hold onto it a little longer.


Best tracks: Manhattan Project, Marathon

No comments: